Chapter 15

Hailey's P.O.V:

"Varsity and junior varsity basketball tryouts tomorrow after school in the Old Gym." Jack read the sign for me as we walked past it.

"Yeah, so what?" I asked.

Jack gave me an exasperated look.

"Come on! Try out!" He said.

I sighed.

"I don't know, Jack. I don't even know anyone and I'll probably get made fun of or something."

Jack stared at me.

"You're the one telling me not to care about what anybody thinks of you...and now you're scared of being made fun of?"

My cheeks grew hot.

"Yeah, you're right."

"So? Are you gonna try out?" Jack pressed.

I thought about all the good times I had on my old basketball team: the trips we took, the wins, the pizza parties.

"Yeah. I guess I'll try out." I reluctantly said.

Jack grinned.

"Good. Does this mean I can come to your games?"

We entered the cafeteria and we sat down at our usual table.

"If I make it."

*
The day passed and soon it was tomorrow after school. I had told my mom that I was going to try out for basketball and I had packed my clothes to try out in and my basketball socks and shoes. I also took the day off work so I could stay after school.

I changed into my clothes in the locker room, put my hair into a ponytail, and then headed into the gym.

Some girls were already there, dribbling and shooting.  I stood there awkwardly for a minute or two, then I grabbed a basketball from the crate and dribbled it over to the closest net and shot it in.  It made it in, of course. 

I looked around me.  More girls had come in, and now they were all staring at me.  My face burned and I quickly walked away from the net, my ball under my arm.

Suddenly, I heard laughter.  I looked and saw two more girls enter the gym.  One had blond hair and the other had brown hair. They were really pretty. (see picture)

The one with the brown hair locked eyes with me and her and the blond started walking over to me.

Great.

I pretended to be fascinated with my dark purple painted nails.  

"Hi."  I heard a voice say.  I looked up from my fingers to see the two girls standing in front of me, the other girls watching from afar. 

"Oh, hey."  I answered.

The brown haired girl tucked a flyway from her ponytail behind her ear.

"I'm Mallory, and this is my friend Leigh."

I nodded.  

"Are you new to this school?" Mallory asked me.

I nodded again.

"Well, not technically new, condsidering it's almost April and I've been here since the beginning of the year." I clenched my jaw shut after I said that.  I have to stop talking sometimes. 

Mallory looked at Leigh, then shot me a disapproving glare. 

"What's your name?"

I swallowed hard.