Chapter 3

not the best picture of johnson but:))

Hailey's P.O.V:

Beep. Beep. Beep. I groaned and shut my alarm off forcefully. The bright red letters on the clock read 5:15 am. I slowly got out of bed and turned on the shower, waiting for it to get warm. I hopped in once it was the right temperature and quickly washed myself and my hair. Then, I got dressed into a cute white lacy short sleeved shirt, jean shorts and white sandals, then straightened my hair. I added some foundation and mascara, then headed downstairs.

I poured myself a bowl of Wheat Chex, sitting at the kitchen table to eat it. A few minutes later, my mom came downstairs, trying a fuzzy purple robe around her.

"Good morning, Mom." I chirped as I ate a spoonful of cereal.

"Hi, honey. You look very pretty." She answered.

I smiled.

"Thanks."

My mom started to make some coffee and while she waited for it to brew, she looked at me with her elbows on the counter.

"Are you nervous?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know."

"Well, I'm sure everyone will love you, and you'll make plenty of new friends." She said.

I rolled my eyes.

"Plenty? Please Mom, my only friend back home was Skylar, and she wasn't even that much of a friend."

My mom poured some milk into her coffee and took a sip.

"I'm just trying to be helpful here, Hail."

I finished my cereal and put my bowl in the sink.

"Ready?" My mom asked.

I nodded, and I grabbed my backpack as we headed out.

*

My mom pulled into the parking lot of Westside High School. The whole school had big glass windows and doors, and a huge football field, bigger than my old school. My mom stopped the car at the student drop off area. She turned to me.

"Just breathe, Hailey. You'll be fine."

I smiled and hugged her.

"Thanks Mom."

"No problem, sweetie."

I opened the car door and got out, waving to my mom as she drove away.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder. I took a deep breath, walking into the school.

*

I stared down at my schedule. Locker 2856. First class is English. Lunch is the main cafeteria. I tried to find my locker and finally reached it on the second floor. I fiddled with the dial and opened it, putting all my binders for my first four classes into my bright blue Jansport backpack. I shut my locker and started walking down the hall towards 332, my English room.

As I walked, I felt everyone's eyes on me.

"Hey, is she new?" I heard a girl with a crop top and short shorts say to her friend.

"I guess." The friend answered.

Then, the two girls laughed and walked past me.

"Hey, newbie!" I heard a familiar voice call.

I turned and saw the Sammy Wilkinson kid standing with three other boys a couple paces away from me.

I rolled my eyes.