Chapter 16

ONE WEEK LATER

Hailey's P.O.V:

"Good job girls! I'll see you on Friday." Coach Philips shouted.

I took a swig of my water bottle and then we all jogged into the locker room.

In the past week, Mallory and Leigh haven't bothered me at all, aside from some dirty looks and the "accidental" stepping on my feet. Our first game was on Monday of next week. Today was Wednesday. I was kind of nervous, to be totally honest. I played all positions, but Coach wanted me to play center for all the games. It was a home game, so my mom and Jack were coming to watch me.

Basketball kind of interfered with work now, so I made my time to come later...so now I was working from 4:30 to 8:30 every day I had practice, and my boss allowed me to take off for the days I had games, which worked out really good.

I got changed into my work clothes (it was easier that way), and drove to the diner.

I saw Ally right away and waved to her, and she came flouncing over to me.

"There's food in the back for you to eat. I'll cover your section and mine while you eat." She said.

"Wow, thanks Ally. I'll be quick don't worry."

She smiled and I headed into the kitchen.

Mark, the main chef, waved at me, and gestured to the cheeseburger and basket of fries laying on the break table. I sat down and started to eat.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I whipped it out. It was Jack.

Will I still see you at my house at 8:30? We gotta read chapter 25 of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I smacked a hand to my forehead. I almost forgot I had to go to Jack's house after work.

Yes, I'll be there, I typed back.

I put my phone in my pocket, then finished eating.

*

Work ended at 8:30, so I got changed back into my regular clothes and drove to Jack's house.

He opened the door and grinned a little when he saw me. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt and jeans with no shoes, but fuzzy black socks.

"Hi." He said.

"Hi."

He let me in. I waved to his mom, then we went upstairs to his room.

He let me go in first, then shut the door behind us. We sat down on his bed and we took our books and binders out.

We read the chapter silently, then we answered the questions on our worksheet.

We finished in over an hour.

"So that was a good chapter, huh?" Jack asked.

"Yeah, this book is way better than I thought. What are you your thoughts on this chapter?"

"Well, I think that Mayella shouldn't be judged for who she has feelings for. It doesn't matter if you're black or white, or poor or rich. It shouldn't matter if you're popular, or a nerd or some loser that nobody is friends with. Everyone should be allowed to talk to who they want to talk to, and have feelings for whoever they want to have feelings for. It just..shouldn't matter." Jack said.

I looked at him closely.

"Are we still talking about the book...or are we talking about you?" I asked him.

He blushed, and looked right at me. I felt hypnotized by his blue eyes.

"I guess I'm talking about myself." He said quietly.