Chapter 18

picture-Hailey's dad, Bill Adams..wink wink;)

Jack's P.O.V:

"No, you're not doing it right. Here, hold them like this." I took the black laquered chopsticks that Hailey was holding and sculpted them into the correct form.

She smiled at me now.

"Thanks."

Tonight, I had taken Hailey out to sushi at my favorite Japanese restaurant. I was making her try sushi for the first time, and I was hoping she liked it.

I watched her as she took a California roll off the big plate of assorted sushi rolls we ordered and ate it. Her expression turned from thoughtful to pure delight.

"Oh my gosh, this is so good!" She said with her mouth full.

I grinned as I took a spicy tuna roll off the plate and dipped it in soy sauce.

"I know right?"

We continued eating the sushi and I showed Hailey what other rolls were on the plate..fortunately she loved them all.

*
"Well, thanks for tonight Jack. Dinner was amazing." Hailey said to me as we pulled into her driveway.

"Anytime."

She flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"Do you wanna come inside? Maybe watch a movie? It is Saturday night, my mom's working late at the bank...what do you say?"

My heart raced.

"Uh...sure, why not?"

Hailey smiled.

"Great."

*
Hailey put on Fast and Furious 6 and dimmed the lights.

About 45 minutes into the movie, I felt my eyes getting heavy, even though it was only about 9:30. To my surprise, Hailey leaned her head on my shoulder and moved her body closer to mine.

"I'm kinda tired." She murmured.

I wrapped my arm around her.

"Me too."

As I closed me eyes and began to drift into sleep, the doorbell rang.

Hailey groaned.

"I'll get it."

She unwrapped herself from my body and got up, heading for the front door. I followed her.

Hailey opened the front door and a man stood there. He had a little bit of a beard and was wearing a white tank top, even though it was still chilly out for the middle of April. His whole arm was covered with tattoos.

I looked over at Hailey. She'd backed away from the door and she looked sick.

"Hi, Hail." The man said.

Hailey slammed the door, locking it and pressed her back up against it.

"Hailey. Who was that?" I asked quietly.

I met her eyes and there were tears flowing down her face.

"That was my dad." She whispered.

My stomach flipped.

"Wait how-how did he get out of the mental institution? And get all the way from Queens to Omaha?" I asked.

She shook her head, wiping tears from her eyes.

"I don't know, and I don't want to find out. I-I have to call my mom." Hailey looked behind her to double check if the door was locked, then ran for the living room to get her cell phone.

I watched her as she dialed her mom's number and pressed the phone up to her ear.

"Mom?" Hailey said. She took a deep breath.

"Mom, I don't know how or why, but Dad got out. And he's here."

"He just knocked on the door."

"Yeah, of course I didn't let him in...just please stay at work. Don't come home. I'll call you and let you know if he left. Okay, be safe. Love you." Hailey hung up the phone and sunk down onto the couch, her head in her hands.

I sat down next to her and rubbed her back.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." I comforted her.

She looked up at me now.

"No, it's not! He raped me, multiple times. He beat me, and my mom too. He tried to kill me. It is not gonna be okay. This is reliving my worst nightmare. He's back, and I'm scared. I'm scared, Jack. I'm really scared."

I hugged her now.

"Hey, calm down. It's fine. I'll protect you from him."

"You can't." Hailey said so quietly that I only I could hear her.

*
After about a half an hour of being extremely quiet, Hailey got up to check if her dad was still outside, and he wasn't. So she called her mom to come home, and now we were sitting around in the kitchen.

I looked at Hailey. She was picking at the skin around her thumbnail and avoiding eye contact with me.

"You okay?" I asked her.

She shook her head, still staring at her hands.

"Not really." She said shakily.

"Listen, we will get through this, okay? I won't let him get near you, or your mom."

She looked at me now.

"But what about you? I don't want you to get hurt either."

"I won't. Hey...I won't."

Just then, the door unlocked and Hailey's mom walked in.

Hailey sighed with relief and ran to her, hugging her.

"Oh, Mom! I'm so glad you're safe." She said.

My mom pulled away from her, surprisingly giving me a hug too.

"Are you two okay?" She asked.

Hailey and I both nodded.

"What are we gonna do about him, Mom?" Hailey asked.

"I don't know. I guess we'll call the authorities tomorrow and try to get him back to Queens, back in the mental home." She answered.

"Why is he here?" Hailey asked now.

Just then, a knowing look crossed her face, kind of like there was some secret her mom was keeping from her daughter.

"I don't know, honey. I really don't know."