Chapter 9

Fast forward to Monday:

Hailey's P.O.V:

School passed by fairly quick, and it was soon time for my job. I told Jack during English that I had to work now, so I told him I would come after work, which would be a little later, if that was okay. He said it was fine and he would see me later at lunch.

Soon, the last period bell rang and I had to get going for work. I soon realized that I didn't have a car, so I had to walk, I sighed. I was probably going to be late.

"Hey! Hailey!" I heard someone call behind me.

I turned around and saw it was Jack.

He was running towards me and I tried to hide my laugh at how awkwardly he was running.

He came closer towards me and I grinned.

"Hey!" I said. "What's uh...what's up?"

He shrugged.

"You heading to work?"

I nodded and fake groaned.

"Yeah, I gotta walk."

"Want me to drive you?" Jack suggested.

I shook my head.

"Oh no, Jack it's fine, I wouldn't want to trouble you-"

"Please, it's no trouble." He answered.

I looked at the buses pulling out of the school.

"Yeah, okay."

*
Jack ended up driving me to the diner. I felt kind of creeped out because we were driving in his dead brother's car, but of course I kept my comments to myself.

He pulled up in front of it and I looked at him.

"Thanks, Jack." I said.

He smiled.

"Yeah, no problem." He answered.

I got my backpack from below my feet, and opened the car door.

"So, I'll see you at 7?" I asked him.

Jack nodded.

I waved now.

"Bye."

"Bye."

His car pulled away and I walked into the diner. I checked the time on my watch. 2:29. Perfect.

Ally was putting an order into a computer. She saw me and waved. I went over to her.

"Hi, Hailey!!" She said excitedly.

"Hey, Ally."

She rubbed her hands together.

"Ready to learn the rules and regulations of this place?" She asked me.

I nodded.

I quickly got changed into my work uniform in the bathroom, and then Ally gave me a name tag with my name on it.

Then, she showed me around the diner, as well as the back kitchen. Then she told me what to say to costumers, and how to write down orders that the chefs in the back would understand, and how to put orders in the computers. She showed me how to bring the food out. She introduced all the other waiters and waitresses. She showed me what not to do as well as what sections of the diner I would be working, and then told me I was ready.

A old couple came through the door now, and the host at the front, Eddie, led them to their table.

Ally elbowed me.