Chapter 4

Johnson's P.O.V:

I hurried up the three flights of stairs and went down another winding hallway. Where the hell was the damn English room? I was already like 10 minutes late. I was a senior, I should know my way around Westside with my eyes closed. I looked at the room numbers as I rushed down the hallway. 312, 313, 314..."Damn it!" I groaned. This was the wrong hallway. I ran back around and finally saw my English room, 332. I scurried in and tried not to make eye contact with the teacher as I sat down at a desk in the far back of the classroom.

I stared down at the floor but I could still feel everyone's eyes on me.

"Mr....Johnson, is it?" The teacher asked me. I nodded silently.

"Johnson!!' I heard Jack Gilinsky called across the room to him.

"You're goddamn late, dumbass!"

I glanced at him. Great. Gilinsky and his whole crew were here. Just great. They have been torturing me and beating me up and threatening me for as long as I can remember. It was horrible, but I fought through that. At least I tried to.

"Mr. Gilinsky, your language!" The teacher said sharply.

I looked back at Jack and I noticed a girl was sitting by them. I took her in. She was obviously new, because I've never sen her around before. She had long blond hair and bright blue eyes, just like me.

"Mr.Johnson, why are you late?" The teacher asked me, causing me to look away from the new girl.

"I-I-I'm sorry, i couldn't find the classroom. I'm sorry, it won't happen again." I answered.

"What are we in Johnson, 8th grade. God, he's such a dumbass." Jack mumbled under his breath.

I looked at him, wanting him to know I heard, but he didn't see me.

*

I got through all my classes with no sign of the crew, and now it was time for lunch. I headed down to the cafeteria, and took my spot a table in the corner, where I've been sitting alone for the past 4 years.

I set my stuff down and went up to go buy my lunch.

I set my chicken sandwich down and rummaged in my backpack for my book. I pulled the first prequel book of my favorite book series, The Mortal Instruments. The prequel was called The Infernal Devices and the book I was reading was The Clockwork Angel, which is the first book of the prequel. I had already read the prequel series and the Mortal Instruments series a million times, but it didn't hurt to reread.

I turned to my saved page and began to read while I ate my lunch.

A little while later, I heard Jack Gilinsky's voice.

"Me and my buddies are gonna go out back and light up. Wanna join?" I looked up to see who he was talking to and I saw that it was that new girl.

She shook her head.

"No."

My eyes widened as she opened her mouth to start talking again.

"Don't get your panties in a twist when I say this, but I don't want to be that one girl that becomes part of your group that you all take turns doing. You're obviously just using me for drugs and sex, and I'm sorry, but I can't provide you with those things. And if you deny that this is true I still sure as hell don's want to be any of your friends. So please leave me alone." I heard her say.

I gasped. She should not have said that.

I saw Gilinsky's facial expressions change from normal to extremely angry.

"What did you just say to me?" He whispered.

"I said leave me alone. Need me to say it one more time?" The girl said.

Jack stared at her.

"You're gonna regret this." He said, and he stalked away, motioning for his crew to join him.

The girl smiled and suddenly, she turned her head to look at me. I quickly ducked my head back into my book.

My eyes were un moving across the page.

I cannot believe she just did that.

*

The rest of the day went by, and it was finally time to go home.

I walked quickly out of the school and towards the student drop off area.

My mom's car was waiting there for me right at the front.

I hopped into the passenger seat.

"Hey, Jack, how was your first day?" My mom asked with a grin as she drove away.

"Fine." I answered, looking out the window.

"Just fine?" My mom asked.

"Yes, Mom. Just fine."

My mom was silent for a couple minutes as we started down the road.

"Did you make any new friends?" She stated up again.

I shook my head silently and my mom sighed.

We were both quiet until we pulled into the driveway of our house.

I got out and hurriedly walked inside, my mom following me.

I made myself a glass of chocolate milk and went up to my room to do the little homework I had.

I got out my English binder and looked at the worksheet we all got today.

Give a short summary about yourself. What are your favorite things, what do you do in your free time, who are your friends, how your life is, etc.

I stared at the paper for a few minutes, then I put it back in the binder.

Truth is, there really was no summary to write. My name was Jack Johnson. I was 17 years old. My favorite THING I liked to do was read. The things I liked to do in my free time was read, and sit alone in my room where my thoughts could roam free. I also liked to go to the cemetery and visit my dad and brother. I had no friends. My childhood friend Jack Gilinsky turned on me in 5th grade and started hanging out with Sammy Wilkinson, Michael Kieger, and Nate Maloley. Now they all have been bullying me every day for 7 years. They say things to me that I am starting to believe. And the only way to cope with what they are doing to me is by doing things to myself.

I leaned over and opened my dresser drawer. The blue razor, nicely sharpened, was laying on the top.

I proceeded to take it out, then I stopped.

"No, I can't." I sad, shoving it back in and closing the drawer. "I promised Mom I would be better."

I shut my eyes and tried to control myself. It was taking everything not to go back and grab the razor, making slashes all over my wrists.

But I didn't, this time.

I got out the English worksheet again and looked at it.

I took out a pencil.

I guess I would have to write lies. Pretend I was normal.