Chapter 8

Hailey's P.O.V:

I ended up taking my bus home because now my mom was working until later and she couldn't pick me up anymore. So I sat on the bus alone, listening to my music with my headphones. Luckily, my stop was the second one, so I was able to hurry off the bus and get home.

I unlocked my door and went inside. The house felt big and empty without my mom there to greet me. I shrugged off the lonely feeling and went to go make myself a snack. After I ate, I did my homework and watched some TV. My mom was supposed to be back by 7:30, so I guessed we would have dinner around that time.

Time passed, and my mom came home, and we ordered some dinner. I told her about school (leaving out the part about Jack for right now), and she told me all about her first day on the job. I told her I would go to the diner and ask about a waitress job whenever I got the chance.

I looked at my mom. She seemed so much happier than she was back home. I smiled out of relief for myself and her. I guess this move was working out for the better.

*

A couple weeks passed, and I found myself getting along with Jack more and more. It was easier to talk to him now that's we've known each other a little longer, but I could still see the pain behind his eyes. I sat with him at lunch, and listened to him as he explained to me what The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments book series were about, and he listened to me as I told him about what books I liked to read and music I listened to. We talked about food we liked, he told me he liked stuff like sushi and I told him I liked Italian. We said hi to each other in the hallways during school, and sometimes, he came to my locker and we walked to English together. He was still awkward sometimes though. For example, he would quickly look away sometimes when I talked to him, and he would stutter sometimes when he would talk, obviously out of nervousness. And also, every time I would laugh, his cheeks would flush red. He also tended to frantically look around, probably for Gilinsky and his friends, whenever we were together.

It was Thursday in mid-October now. The month of September flew by pretty fast. I had to go out again and buy clothes for fall.

I headed into English a couple seconds late because I stopped in the bathroom. Jack was already in his spot, and he waved timidly to me as I sat down.

"Okay everyone, we're going to start!" My teacher called. Once everyone quieted, she cleared her throat.

"So, I've overhead lots of my students discussing To Kill a Mockingbird. Well, I came up with an idea that instead of reading the book and doing the worksheets on your own, why not do it with a partner? I've come up with the partner list and now you both will read the chapters and answer the questions together."

Half the class groaned, and the other half clapped their hands with joy.

Mrs. McAdams pulled out a piece of paper from her pocket and began to read off the list.

"Okay...Stephanie, you'll be working with Annie. Caleb, you'll be with John. Melissa and Don, Madison and Trevor...."

She kept throwing out pairs and then I heard a familiar name.

"Jack Gilinsky and Nate Maloley. Sam Wilkinson and Michael Kieger."

I sighed a breath of relief as the boys all high fives each other. Thank god none of them were working with me or Johnson.

"Hailey Adams... and Jack Johnson." My teacher said now.

I looked at Jack and smiled brightly. Surprisingly, he gave me a sweet grin back. Gilinsky rolled his eyes and snickered. I ignored him and nodded at the teacher, letting her know I heard her.