Chapter 12

Jack's P.O.V:

I awoke now to screaming. I opened my eyes to see Hailey sitting upright next to me gasping for air, sweat dotting her forehead, and her blond hair matted to her face.

"Hailey!" I said. I looked at my closed door. Thank God my mom was a heavy sleeper.

On instinct, I sat up and took Hailey into my arms. Her body trembled and she was breathing heavily.

"Hailey...shh...it was just a nightmare. It's over now, okay? Shh, you're fine. You're here with me. It's okay." I said soothingly, stroking her hair.

She looked up at me, her face stained with tears and running makeup. I still thought she looked stunning.

"I'm so sorry Jack, I-I haven't had one of those nightmares in a while." She said to me.

I cocked my head intently.

"What do you mean?" 

Hailey sighed.

"I guess it's come to the point where I should tell you everything about my past, huh?"

I shook my head in the moonlit room.

"No, you don't have to explain-"

"Yes, I do."  Hailey cut me off. 

I grew quiet, and then she began to speak again.

                                                       *

After she finished telling me everything, we sat in silence for a minute or two.

"I know it's a lot to take in."  Hailey said now.

I nodded.

"That's why I was so scared at the party when Jackson tried to have sex with me.  My father made me paranoid."

I took her hand and squeezed it.

"None of this is your fault.  Everything that happened to you is his fault."

I looked into her bright eyes.

"You don't have to be afraid anymore.  Your dad is out of your life for good.  And...you have me now." I said in a jumble.

I thought about the stuff I was hiding from Hailey.

"Hailey. Can I tell you some stuff about me now?"  I asked.

She nodded, and I began my story about how me and Jack Gilinsky were best friends, then he started hanging around Sammy, Nate and Mike, and him and the others began to say the meanest stuff to me.  Then, my dad and my brother died in the same year, and the bullying didn't stop.  

I also told her about how I was diagnosed with bipolar depression last year, and how I used to cut myself.  When I was done, tears were flowing down her face again.

"Oh Jack, I'm so sorry!"  She exclaimed.

I felt my own tears threaten to escape, but I held them back.