Twelve

"What the hell happened?" I yelled as I ran over to Sam, who was crouched to the ground with a woman who was writhing in pain cradled in his arms.

Sam looked up at me and then towards the street, where someone was running as if their life depended on it, followed by a speedy shadow that could only be Dean.

"She's been attacked, we think it's them."

"The witch?" I frowned as he nodded then rolled my eyes, "Seriously? Now?"

"Yeah, Dean's chasing them down."

The woman stared up towards the sky with a look of absolute agony, her chest shuddering as she took painstaking breaths that seemed to be laboured while boils bubbled up over her face.

I suspected that there was more to them than what was appearing on the outside and that was leading to her issues in breathing, but I couldn't be entirely certain.

"We need to get her to a hospital," Sam said in a panic, holding her in his arms as he stood up, causing her to whine in pain.

"I really don't think they can help," I frowned.

"Mostly not, but they can at least try to open her airways and give her oxygen."

Stepping to the rear door, I held it open for Sam so that he could carefully but urgently set her on the backseat before closing the door and jumping to the driver's door.

"I'll stay here and talk to the girls, see if they know the victim."

"Good idea," he nodded, "I'll get back here as soon as I can."

"Call me, let me know what happens at the hospital."

"You got it."

Sam hopped into the driver's seat and was off like a shot, my guessing could only be that Dean had either left the keys in the ignition as they were staying beside the car or he had chucked them towards Sam right before he ran after the witch, knowing that Sam would likely go the care route.

I watched the Impala disappear around a bend on the street then turned back towards the house, striding inside with a new vigour.

"What happened?" Camille asked as I stepped inside, closing the door behind me. "That looked like Abbi, is she okay?"

"Abbi?" I replied, looking between the two.

"She's one of us, guess you guys would class it as a 'coven', even though that's not really what it is," Naomi said with a frown, her eyes flickering between the window and me.

"Then what would you class it as?"

"We say we're more mentor and underlings," she laughed, coming across as more nervous than humoured.

"Right," I nodded slowly, licking my bottom lip, "and you didn't think to mention this before?"

"It didn't seem relevant," Camille replied quietly.

I actually felt my brain short circuit in that moment, the cogs grinding loudly in my ears as they stopped and I found myself only able to stare at them both with my mouth dropped open in shock.

Eventually, my system rebooted and I let out a long sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"You guys are two slices short of a sandwich."

They shared a look of helplessness, the fear becoming more noticeable between the two as the air grew thick.

I waited for one of them to say something, instead they appeared to wish to take the denial route and turned into schoolgirls facing their principle for the first time.

This was going to be like pulling teeth.

"Okay," I said, turning on my stern face, "you're going to sit down and tell me everything you can, get it?"

Both nodded, Camille shifting on her feet before moving to sit down on her couch, her hands wringing together.

"First, I need to know if you can help her in some way?"

"Um, maybe?" Naomi replied, moving to sit beside Camille, taking her hands in her own to give them an encouraging squeeze. "I'm sure we can work something out."

"Good," I nodded, putting my hands on my plump hips, "then once we're done here, we'll go to the hospital and work your magic there, it's too risky here."

"Okay," Naomi nodded, letting go of Camille's hands to instead wrap an arm around her, "we'll answer whatever you need."