Twenty Six

"There, you lured me away," Sam said, looking coldly to the witch sitting opposite him. "Now tell me what you want."

"Really, Sammy, must you start this with such hostility?"

His eyes narrowed, his jaw setting as he glowered, his fingers clenching atop the table they were sat at in some obscure corner diner he hadn't even noticed during his stay in the town.

"Don't call me Sammy and yes, I think it's called for."

"Come on, don't be so uptight, I didn't mean to cause offence," she pouted, trying to look cute as she did but only making Sam internally shudder. "I just needed to get your attention."

"And you got it, so what do you want?"

"A cut back on that attitude would be nice, I'm trying to be cordial."

"Excuse me for not being conversational with someone who casually curses others."

"Aw, is this about your friend?"

"It's about the people you killed."

"Oh, that."

Sam twitched in irritation at her callousness, at the utter blasé attitude she had at being the cause of many young witches' deaths all for her own power.

If he didn't understand why Dean hated witches so much before, this would have surely settled the deal for him.

He hated the thought of having to sit there and humour this monster, but he just needed to bide his time.

Sam was confident that the others knew exactly what needed to be done, he just had to hold out until one of them gave the signal.

Shifting in his seat, Sam then leant forward, looking as though he was about to conspire with the witch.

"Why me?" He asked pointedly.

"Why not you?" She fired back, shrugging with her arms held out exaggeratedly far to her sides. "You've got a reputation, Mr. Winchester."

"Yeah, I have many."

"True, both of you do, but there's only one newer one that any of us are interested in."

Sam rose an eyebrow, attempting to stare her down as she smiled coyly.

"Which one is that?" He relented after a moment of lingered silence.

"You don't know?" She smiled, leaning forward against the table to rest her chin on the back of her interlinked hands, perhaps an attempt to look flirtatious and tempt him into stealing glances down the front of her low collared dress, perhaps merely to look more like the villain than she already was. "You're becoming quite a household name among covens, what with your natural gift with magic, it would seem you're already quite adept with spells."

"So you're telling me to expect more witches knocking at my door?"

"If you don't accept my offer, absolutely, we're all so eager to get you on our team."

"And you think cursing us all will convince me?"

"They were merely light jests," she said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "And I already lifted your brother's, your hair will grow back, they were nothing."

"Except one."

"Oh please, the other one is nothing, I was on the cusp of making it so much worse."

Sam's eyes snapped to hers, his eyebrows raising as he sat up straighter, his shoulders pulling back as he tried to keep his face neutral.

"What do you mean by that?"

Her mouth pulled up on one side in a dark smirk, her eyes glinting with pure glee but he wasn't sure if it was at the thought of tormenting him or the sheer idea of messing with a hunter that had her excited.

"I was going to make a pure glutton out of that one, make a hunger so insatiable that it could only lead to one thing."

Sam swallowed heavily, a weight settling in his stomach.

"That's morbid," he mumbled, shaking his head, finding that he had to tear his eyes away to look out of the window because the sheer happiness at the thought that swam in her eyes made him feel sicker than he had in a while when confronting a monster.

"Yeah well, a curse is meant to be," she grinned, "but then I realised that maybe it wasn't such a good idea."

"How kind hearted of you," he said, rolling his eyes.

"Don't get it twisted, I only lessened it because of the coven's protests and it wouldn't be useful to me to kill a hunter but it was still perfect leverage to get you here."

"You cared what your coven thought?"

"No, but I need them on my side, lest I lost them."

The pit in Sam's stomach grew, he had a growing suspicion as to what she was getting at but worried that putting it into the aether would disrupt the distraction he had going, so he simply pushed down all his hunter instincts and played nice.

Or as nice as he could.

He resisted an overbearing urge to check the time and chose to silently pray that enough time had passed for the others to reach the hospital but he knew it wasn't likely, no matter how hard he wished.

His leg bounced as they stared at one another across the table, his jaw set as she smiled at him.

'Come on guys,' he thought, his eyes flitting towards the window as hers diverted to a waitress who approached their table. 'You need to hurry up.'

---

"Are you sure about this?" Dean asked, looking between the three witches who each look some form of panicked. "We need you to be absolutely certain."

Camille nodded, but her expression didn't instil any confidence in Dean and he found himself inwardly cringing and outwardly shaking his head.

"We have to do something," I huffed, sounding more irritable than I had intended as I continued etching markings onto the floor of Abbi's hospital room. "Who knows what she wants with Sam, the longer we wait because we're unsure the more chance she has of turning him into a toad or something."

"Not to worry if he does," Dean said, grinning at me with a mischievous sparkle in his eye, "you can just kiss him better."

Snapping my head towards him, I gave him the darkest glare I could muster in the moment and threw the lid of the dry marker I was using at him, successfully smacking him in the forehead.

"Focus, doofus."

I didn't miss the finger he aimed at me as I turned away, but tried not to get distracted as a smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

We had to focus on this spell and we were down one Sam, who would have been the best addition between us all for what we needed to do.

Sod's law struck again.

"Okay," I said as I stood, dusting my knees off more for a distraction than from actually thinking that the shiny hospital floor was dirty, "I think we're ready."

Dean and I shared a look of masked uncertainty and then looked to the coven, who were staring back at us with in utter terror.

Which I couldn't blame them for, they were about to go against their head who had already proven to be ruthless and out for herself, I'd be terrified in their position too.

"Okay," Dean started, pointing to Abbi who was looking better than she had in days, though still not ready to face off against her head witch, "you're to keep that door locked at all expenses, we can't have anyone coming in."

Abbi gave a short nod, her eyes dark rimmed but determined.

Dean then turned to Camille and Naomi, giving them the classic look of Winchester encouragement.

"You two will work with us to weaken her from a distance, you ready for that?"

The two witches shared a look, Camille giving Naomi a smile as she reached to take her hand and give it a squeeze as she nodded before looking to Dean and then me.

"We're as ready as we'll ever be," she replied for them.

"Good," Dean smirked, an excited glint in his eye. "Then let's kick this witch right back to hell."