Twenty

The air in the room was heavy with grief when Sam and Dean arrived, the two girls holding one another as they cried themselves dry while I sat and stared towards the window.

Looking towards the brothers as they walk in, I offer a faint smile and a nod of my head, then I stood up to greet them both by the door, wanting to keep scarce to avoid making the room feel overcrowded.

Dean was expressionless and Sam looked as empathetic as he typically would given the circumstances, common decency leaving us all silent.

Sam stepped up next to me and placed a hand on the centre of my back, looking down at me with that soft expression.

"You doing okay?" He asked quietly.

I took a deep breath and then let it out slowly while nodding.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good, it never gets easier but it's part of the job, right?"

"Unfortunately," he nodded solemnly.

Dean moved across the room and gave Sam an indicating nod before taking the seat I'd been inhabiting for hours, likely one he was well acquainted with given his overnight stay, Sam gave a reciprocating nod and then gently lead me outside, pulling the door closed behind us.

"What's up?" I asked, sparing a glance to the closed door as I shuffled on my feet.

"We may have found a clue that'll lead to the answers we want," he replied while pulling his phone from his pocket. "Or we found a tattoo, could go either way but we want to ask the girls about it."

"You took a photo?"

"Yeah," he nodded, turning his phone towards me. "Recognise it?"

Taking his phone, I look the picture over, pulling my lips to one side in thought before eventually shrugging.

"If I were to take a guess? I'd say it's a rune but I don't know of any significance."

"It's somewhere to start."

"Yay, more research," I laughed softly.

"You know you love it," he smiled faintly. "I wanted to ask the girls if they knew anything about it but that'll have to wait for now."

"What a mess," I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

"Such is the hunting life."

"Unfortunately."

I handed back Sam's phone then looked to the closed door, letting out another heavy sigh.

"I doubt they'll be up for pushing this last bit of healing for a while."

"Maybe we should offer to take them home, one of us can stay here and someone else can watch them," he suggested, taking a small step closer.

"The last one can follow up on the potential rune theory."

"Sounds like a plan to me, they must be as tired as the rest of us after expending all that magic."

"Probably, not that I'd know," I hunched my shoulders and slid my hands into my pockets. "Hey, maybe you should babysit them, you're a talented, up and coming spellcaster, maybe they could teach you a few things."

Sam smiled bashfully and shrugged his shoulders, looking down the long hospital corridor, perhaps to avoid extended eye contact in the moment.

"I think you're giving me too much credit."

"And I say not enough, anyway we should get Dean in on the plan and see what choice he opts for."

"Anything that lets him sleep decently I'd suspect."

"Hm," I nodded slowly, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth, "maybe he should go with the girls then, nap on one of their couches."

"We can only suggest it, right?"

The door opened and Dean stepped out, gently closing it behind him.

"I'm going to give them a minute," he said, nudging his head towards the door to accentuate his statement.

"Good idea," Sam nodded, "this must be rough for them."

"I'd hazard a guess and say they were closer than a mere new coven."

"I'm going out on a limb here," I started, looking between the two, "and I'm going to say they were four friends who happened upon a witch."

"The Craft gone awry," Dean said with the Deanest 'I know I shouldn't joke but I can't help myself' expression.

I rolled my eyes, though still smiled despite myself.

Sam merely shook his head, shooting Dean a disapproving look.

We collectively decided to move away from the door, giving the girls some privacy for their grief while we grabbed a snack from a vending machine, nothing big, just enough to tide us over for the time being.

As we ate whatever we picked out, Sam reiterated our theory and plan with Dean, who nodded along until he finished his latest mouthful of M&Ms.

Lucky him that his curse had apparently already reverted, at least they were true to their word.

"Okay, I'll go with them, keep an eye out at their place."

"Great," Sam said. "I'll stay here."

"Leaving me for the rune search, got it."

"Phones are fully charged?" Dean asked.

Although we realistically all knew how much power our phones had, we still pulled them out in unison and checked before confirming.

"Good," he said, stuffing the empty packet into his pocket. "Hopefully your theory works out and we can hit Matilda with everything we've got."