Eighteen

"Sooo...you and the big guy, huh?"

I looked over with a raised eyebrow, catching Camille's eyebrow wiggle before she turned away to look back at her bedridden co-witch.

They were taking another break after another few hours of healing, which they had started shortly after Sam had dropped me off at the hospital and gotten into the car to drive off with Dean, as planned.

"What about me and Sam?" I asked, shifting on my feet.

How long had I been stood there, leaning against the doorway with arms folded?

I glanced at the clock, realising then that I'd lost more time than I'd noticed.

"Don't play dumb," Naomi said with an eyeroll, "we've seen the looks."

I shook my head and looked towards the window shifting again to cross one ankle over the other foot and stuff my hands into my pockets.

"Sure, maybe befo-"

"Don't even try it," Camille tutted, taking a bite of her vending machine candy before pointing it at me, "the size clearly ain't an issue here."

"You do seem more self-conscious, holding yourself back," Naomi added.

"Can we not do this? Build up your strength and get back to what you need to do, this isn't a counselling session."

"Not with that attitude," Naomi grumbled.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, wishing that I were back in bed with Sam at that very moment.

They weren't going to talk me around to this, I refused to let them manipulate me into making an ass out of myself.

It went without saying that I liked Sam, who couldn't?

Tall, handsome and smart to boot, he was a literal God wrapped up in a modest man and he could flitter between adorable puppy and bloodthirsty guard dog in an impressive and ridiculously hot way.

It was annoying just how seemingly perfect he was.

And the fact that he never looked my way made it worse.

To be so close and still so far.

I'd seen the kind of women Sam ogled at the bar and, ignoring a few selections that I didn't wish to comment on, I couldn't compare to them, especially not now.

The kind of women he liked were beautiful, slim and intelligent, probably not covered in battlescars and hardened by a life of monsters.

He needed someone perfect and that wasn't me.

Which was stupid in itself, as if he wasn't just as hardened, if not more so, than I was.

I could feel a headache beginning to build in my temples, the circles my brain was running in building up stress and tension.

I knew that I was building him up in my head, blinded by my crush and yet, I still stood there and shot myself down for what?

No one was that perfect and I was being stupid.

Again.

With a groan, I pinched the bridge of my nose and kicked away from the doorframe.

"You okay?" Camille asked.

I glanced at the two and gave a nod, taking out my phone to check for any messages.

"Everything is fine, don't worry," I said, giving a restrained smile and tucking the phone away again when nothing came up. "How is Abbi doing?"

"She'll get there," Naomi replied with a solemn nod.

"Though I doubt she'll be staying with the coven," Camille frowned.

I scoffed a little laugh and shook my head.

"If we have our way, there won't be a coven for her to leave."

The two girls shared a look that could have either been relief or uncertainty before focusing on finishing their snacks, knowing that the sooner they finished their curse lifting, the sooner we could all leave so that Abbi could be safely discharged without us being in the way.

It was better for everyone if I wasn't around in case people started to ask too many questions.

As the room fell into silence, my stomach growled.

I froze in my spot, feeling my cheeks beginning to heat up as the girls laughed good-naturedly.

I don't know why I suddenly fell into embarrassment, as though being hungry wasn't a natural thing, especially as I hadn't eaten since the breakfast muffin I'd had that morning, and yet I still felt like the one person whose stomach rumbled during an exam.

"You should go and get something to eat," Naomi smiled, scrunching up her empty wrapper. "We'll man the fort."

"It's fine, I can wait."

My stomach gave another loud growl, as though accentuating its point, ignoring the fact that I definitely didn't wish to eat in front of others due to some spell induced worries of judgement.

"Doesn't sound like it," Camille said politely, giving me a soft look.

"You really should eat."

I looked between the two then licked my bottom lip, letting out a long sigh.

"I have had a weird thing about hot dogs and gingerbread lately," I mumbled.

The two exchanged a glance and some kind of smirk that had me raising my eyebrow.

They said nothing and stood up to throw their wrappers away, clearing their throats.

"We should get back to our spell, she's almost at a point that we can stop and let her heal naturally," Naomi said with an affirming nod.

They moved towards the bed and I narrowed my eyes at them, eyes flittering from one to the other before I took a step towards the door.

"Right, I'll just grab something real quick."

"No rush," Camille called, taking her spot on the floor beside the bed on the opposite side from the door.

I hummed, giving the room a once over before stepping out and closing the door completely, something other than hunger churning my stomach.

"Don't let them get to you," I mumbled, turning left down the corridor.