Three

Sam pulled my car up in the parking lot after an embarrassing shopping trip.

My spatial awareness was out of whack and I knew that I would end up developing a nice, hefty bruise on at the least one of my hips by the end of the day with the way I kept bumping into the corner of tables that were the perfect height to meet my rounder, wider hips.

A few times, Sam had managed to save me from a particularly pointy looking edge.

If he'd noticed that I was lingering too close to one, he would reach out and place his hand on my hip, gently nudging me away and giving my new bit of plumpness a squeeze.

This would usually be accompanied with a gentle; "Careful," and each time it made my heart flutter just a little.

I'd always managed to mumble back a distracted, "Thank you," while trying to ignore how his large hand lingered on occasion.

It was ridiculous, I felt like I was back in school yet again, with both the schoolgirl crush and the body size.

We managed to find a few outfits to last me a couple of days, including a smart enough business suit on the off chance that I needed to Fed-up before this was resolved.

A silence fell between us as the engine stopped its purr, the air slightly tense as I stared towards the door of the room the brothers were staying in, worrying my lip between my teeth as I fiddled with the buttons of the flannel shirt I'd bought.

"Are you still nervous about seeing Dean?"

I glanced towards Sam, who was looking at me with brows furrowed in concern, and eventually nodded, taking a deep breath.

"It's stupid, I know, I don't even know why I am but I am."

"You're definitely overthinking this, it'll be fine."

"Will you stop saying that?" I snapped, shaking my head with a scoffed laugh.

"Sorry," he replied disingenuously, "look, I'll message Dean and give him a heads up before we go in."

I nodded and turned to look out of the window, my leg bouncing as nerves started to churn my gut as he typed out the message.

It wasn't a long one and yet it felt like his typing went on forever.

My hands were lying in my lap as I fiddled with my fingers, my led bouncing getting worse before I turned to Sam, who had just sent his text and was tucking his phone away again.

"I'm sorry for snapping."

"It's okay, I get it, it's a stressful time for you."

I could only nod silently in reply, my eyes shifting back to their motel room just in time to see the curtains flutter a little which set a stone of dread in my stomach.

Dean must have looked out of the window out of curiosity or to steel himself for the heft I was about to walk in with, neither was a particularly comforting thought.

"I don't know if I can go in there."

"Why? It's just Dean, I know you're worried about him making snide remarks but I'm sure he'll be cool about it, he knows you're upset."

"I know, Sam, I know but," I licked my bottom lip and shook my head, "I can't help it, come on, even you can get how insecurity works, I can tell myself I'm being stupid as often as I want but my brain will still believe otherwise, it's so frustrating."

My eyes were starting to burn again and my throat constricted, which only increased my frustration. I was fed up of worrying, being close to crying at the drop of a hat and feeling that I had to hide myself from two of my closest friends, all because some witch couldn't control her hissy fit about being confronted for hurting people.

Dean was right, witches were the worst.

A large hand clasped onto my thigh, the fingers giving the best squeeze they could through the thigh hugging skirt I was still wearing.

When I look back to him, Sam gives me a comforting smile and gives my thigh a couple of pats.

"Look, no one is forcing you to come inside straight away," he glanced towards the motel room, "I'll head inside and you take whatever time you need to collect yourself, alright?"

For the first time in a while, ignoring how faint it was, I returned his smile and nodded, placing my smaller hand over his and giving it a slow rub.

"Thank you, Sam, you're way too good to be putting up with my shit."

He laughed and shrugged, tilting his head a little.

"You've helped me through worse over the years, I think it's only fair I make up for it without having to save your life in the meantime."

"That would make a change, at this point saving each other's lives is getting boring."

"I know," he rubbed my thigh then opened the door, lifting out one of his too-long legs, "I'll see you inside when you're ready, yeah?"

I nodded, "I'll try to not be too long."

"No rush."

The car shifted as he stepped out and closed the door, my eyes trailed after him as he walked to the motel door and disappeared inside.

With a long sigh, I leaned back in my faux-leather seat and rested my hands in my lap while trying to control my bouncing leg.

"It'll be fine, everything will be fine."