Seventeen

We were both startled awake sometime past seven in the morning by Sam's phone ringing, the vibration seeming louder in the quiet motel room than it typically would be.

Sam let out a tired sigh through his nose and started to feel around for his phone, momentarily forgetting that he had moved beds and that his phone was still on his side.

"My face is not your phone," I grumbled, batting at his arm that was repeatedly colliding with my cheek during his search. "You have very beautiful elbows but please keep them out of my eyes."

"Can you grab my phone?" He asked, though it came out muffled thanks to the pillow he'd turned his face in to.

"It's across the other side of the room," I sighed, "that's so much effort."

"I'll make it up to you."

I rolled my eyes then reluctantly threw the covers away, immediately regretting it as my body temperature dropped and all my built-up warmth was gone.

Grabbing Sam's phone from the bedside table, I glanced at the caller ID and then swiped to answer.

"Morning sunshine," I said, turning the speaker on.

"You too, Sam about?" Dean asked.

"We're on speaker."

"Mornin'," Sam yelled, rubbing his eyes as he pushed himself up.

"I take it that I woke you up," Dean said, not sounding the least bit apologetic.

"Are you surprised?" I laughed, sitting down on the edge of the bed that Sam had abandoned last night.

"With you? No, not in the slightest but Sam? Totally, usually he's back from being Mr. Fitness, unless something kept him up last night."

We both shared a glance, an eyeroll and a smile.

"Not what you're thinking," I said.

"We both just couldn't sleep, some of us actually use our brains and that can get kind of tiring."

"Wow, low blow, Sammy."

Sam smiled at me then looked to the phone as he shifted to sit on the edge of the bed.

"What's with the early call?" He asked. "Something happen?"

"No bitches showed up if that's what you mean."

"Anything is what I meant."

"He just called because he got lonely," I laughed.

Dean let out a small huffed laugh, "I do come baring some news."

"Shoot."

"It seems that our new friends do know how to do more than curse people, they look like death now but they were up all night doing their little witchy thing and their friends seems to have made some kind of recovery."

"That's great," I said, my smile of amusement falling into one of relief.

"They're taking a break now, getting some sleep in the car but they're going to get right back to it in a couple of hours."

"Great, let them rest and get some food in them and they should be good to go," I nodded, "hopefully."

"We can hope for the best."

"What's the plan now?" Sam asked, hunching forward and steepling his fingers.

"Someone continues to keep an eye on them and the others go after the head honcho," Dean replied without much consideration. "Anyone wanna switch shifts?"

I glanced at Sam, shifting in my spot as he gave me a small shrug.

"Sure, I'll take over," I said.

"Great, then me and Sam can go and check out the witches' place."

Sam's eyebrows rose in that adorable way that they do when he gets surprising information.

"You know where she's hiding?"

"It's amazing what you can get out of people when their friend almost dies."

Sam rolled his eyes and I let out a small scoff of a laugh.

"I'll let you guys get ready and then meet you at Baby, an hour should be good, right?"

"Sounds great," I said with a nod he couldn't see.

"See you in a bit."

We all said our goodbyes and then hung up, both of us letting out a sigh as I set the phone down.

"You sure you're okay watching over them?" He asked.

"Totally, nothing wrong with a little girly time after a near death experience."

I smiled and stood up, stretching my arms above my head.

Sam also got up and moved to grab his bag, fishing around for some clean clothes.

"Mind if I use the shower first?"

I looked at him and shrugged.

"Go ahead, just don't take too long, an hour is easily lost when you're in the shower."

"Depends what you're doing."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head and turned away as he laughed, holding his clothes in the crook of his arm as he made his way to the bathroom.