Five

Five: Memories

Juliet waited patiently outside the apartment building complex for Steve to arrive

Juliet waited patiently outside the apartment building complex for Steve to arrive. He was done with his meetings and had asked her to go with him to the museum.

Of course the girl agreed and now here she was looking down the street for him. When he finally arrived, she gave him a smile before strapping on helmet he gave her (because safety).

"What did you do today?"

"I was left unsupervised so I went shopping"

"Oh gosh"

"I bought you some stuff! And Sam! Oh when can we see Sam, I need to see my new best friend, did ya know- wait actually lemme tell you, the lady at the store was SO RUDE I can't even she-"

The girl ranted as she climbed onto the bike and continued to as Steve drove. (She was speaking into his ears as the engine on the motorcycle would've made it impossible to he heard)

When they arrived and went inside, they immediately went to one attraction they always did. Upon walking inside, Juliet realized just how crowded it was today, standing a bit closer to Steve as he made his way through the crowd.

They had been there so much she could word for word quote what the narrator said. She stopped to stare in awe of the uniforms hung up, before following Steve.

"Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life..."

"You really miss him huh?"

The girl questioned as she placed her hands in her pockets

"Yeah...you would've liked him I think"

"He's cute"

"Jules-"

"What, am I supposed to lie?"

The man shook his head the girl, who just smiled

----------------------------------------

About an hour later, they arrived at a building where Sam was, catching the last few moments of his meeting.

When he came out, he approached the two of them with a small smile on his face.

"It's pretty intense huh"

Juliet spoke aloud after a moment

"Yeah, we're all dealing with something, regret, guilty"

"You lose someone?"

Steve questioned making Juliet want to kick him slightly

"My wingman, Riley" he started, "Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op. Nothing we hadn't done 1000 times before. Until an RPG knocked Riley's dumbass out of the sky..nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch"

Juliet hung her head slightly, feeling very upset for her friend, so she reached out and hugged the man before her. She wasn't quite sure why, but it seemed right. The man wrapped his arms around the girl, giving her a slight squeeze before they pulled away.

"I'm sorry to hear that" Steve spoke

"After that, it took me time to find a reason you really stay over there"

"But you're happy now? Back in the world?"
Steve questioned,

"Well the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero, you thinking about getting out?"
Sam responded, a grin on his face

"To be honest I don't know what'd I'd do with myself if I did"

Juliet was a bit taken aback from hearing this from Steve. It got her brain to start thinking.

"Ultimate fighting?"

Sam suggested in a joking manner, making the trio laugh, only Juliet's smile faded much quicker.

Her head began to fill with thoughts, what if Steve really did leave? What if he gave up on being Captain America? Where would he go?

"But seriously, you can do anything you want man. What makes you happy?"

"I don't know"

As they continued to speak, Juliet suddenly stopped and then spoke again

"Excuse me, I'm gonna go outside... I gotta make a call"

"Alright"

She rushed outside, pulled out her phone and dialed her brother, Tony.

"Come on pick up pick up"

"Stark speaking"

"I'm also Stark speaking stupid"

"Jules? Hey what's up! Is everything okay? Are you hurt? I'll kill Steve I swear-"

"No no, i- I'm fine, there's no need to kill. I just remembered I never answered your texts, so what did you need?"

"Oh I was just checking in, wondering what my pal pirate was up to, spangles too, oh do you have any spare metal in your lab?"

"Um, yeah i do, top shelf when you first walk in, and we're all fine I guess, Nick is doing fine, Steve had a meeting with him today"

And they spoke until Steve came outside and asked if she was ready to leave. She hung up with Tony and off they went back to their apartment.

Juliet was pleased that she mangeed a conversation with Tony that didn't result in them yelling or fighting. She never did think that this conversation would be the last one for a while, for she didn't know what would happen that night.

------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 797

Written: January 13-18,2021

Published: January 18,2021