Nine

Nine: New Jersey

Juliet sat in the back seat of the car Steve was "borrowing", fiddling with her thumbs

"Hey Jules?"

"Yes?"

"I would've never guessed you were such a good kisser"

Juliet felt her face grow warm as she quickly coughed before Nat could turn around and look at her.

"Thanks? I have no idea how to answer that...um"

Juliet laughed awkwardly, noticing how Steve was staring at her from the mirror, giving off some mom/dad stare.

"All I know is....I can officially tell Tony I got to kiss you and he didn't"

That made Natasha chuckle, as Steve broke out into laughter, shaking his head.

---------------------------------------------

"So wait, tiny Rogers used to be here?"

"Juliet-"

The girl turned to Steve, walking backwards while speaking, "Look I was just asking, don't get mad, we all know you were built dif-"

The girl stumbled and caught herself before reaching the ground. Natasha who had been looking for a signal rejoined them, giving Juliet an amused look.

"Shut up Nat"

--------------------------------------------------

The trio walked around the slightly lit building, noticing portraits on the wall.

"Hey that's my dad!" Juliet pointed out, immediately reaching out and running her fingers over the dusty photo.

"Who's the girl ?" Natasha asked, making Juliet look at that photo hung up next to her dad's. Steve simply shook his head, walking around the room, while Natasha shrugged.

Juliet, by accident, began to space out, she missed her dad, a lot. She never got to talk about him much though, as Tony would shut down the subject, Juliet knew he did miss and love dad too, but Tony was, well, Tony. Juliet also knew of the girl in the photo, Peggy Carter.

Steve had talked about her before, plus Juliet saw the way he'd stare at the screen in the museum when they played the video.

As Juliet's mind drifted, she found it hard to breath, her mind was filled with thoughts of what could've been if her parents never died in that accident. But she quickly snapped out of it when a hand placed itself upon her shoulder.

"You alright J?"

"Yeah, yeah," she shook, still not fully confident in her answer but she rolled with it.

----------------------------------------------------

"I have a bad feeling about this place" Juliet spoke as they got off the elevator but was ignored.

"Shall we play a game? It's from a movie-"

"I know, I saw it" Steve spoke as Natasha turned away from the computer, stepping back

The computer examined them, if that's the word you'd use, stating their information. Juliet stood, very confused as she listened to it and then listened to Steve explain it. She stood near Natasha, latching onto her weapon in her pocket if needed.

Zola continued to speak, as Natasha and Steve exchanged words.

"Cut off one head, two more shall takes its place"

Now Juliet was really starting to worry, she could feel her stomach drop for unknown reasons as she stood with the others.

"Prove it"

"Seriously Steve?"

".... Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, S. H. I. E. L. D. was founded, and I was recruited. The new HYDRA grew. A beautiful parasite inside S. H. I. E. L. D. "

The trio stared at the screen, different emotions on everyone's face as Zola spoke.

"Shield would've stopped you." Natasha spoke

"Accidents will happen"

Juliet held back a noise of worry as she saw her fathers face flash on the screen. Accidents will happen? What did that mean....

Steve punched the screen moments after, but that didn't stop Zola.

"You shall be too dead to hear it"

"Guys-" Juliet started, grabbing her gun.

"Steve, Juliet, we got a bogey"

They all looked around in panic as Steve ran forward. He grabbed the girls and jumped forward, holding his shield up as the place exploded.

"Shit!" Juliet yelled as she stumbled

---------------------------------------------------

"Nat? Steve? Are you- are you guys okay?"

"Juliet? Where are- you?" Steve questioned quietly

"H-here...holy shit"

---------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 672

Written: February 22-March 6, 2021

Published: March 7, 2021