Chapter 54 - Proposal

Poonam was plucking flowers from the garden. Chitrangada had cancelled her meeting so she was free for the day. Chitra loved gajra(hair ornament) made of fresh flowers so Poonam thought of collecting some.

Someone grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a bush. Her scream was muffled by a hand.

"Shhh," Devburman said.

Her eyes flew open on surprise. He removed his hand.

"Your highness! What are you doing here?"

"Why didn't you come to meet me?" He commanded.

"I can't meet you, your highness. Princess has forbidden me." Poonam replied looking away.

"And you can't defy her?"

"I am at her service your highness I can't do that?"

"Hmmm, I will get you out of her service." He said folding his hands.

She looked started " You can't do that. My family has been at the service of the Navsarika royal family for generations."

"Even after they are married or move outside the kingdom?"

She looked puzzled "of course not. They don't serve the family then."

"Good, it's settled. I will marry you."

Poonam was so stunned she couldn't speak for several minutes "your highness. I can't marry you."

"Why not? Am I not good enough?"

She placed her hand on her mouth as if scared.

"Oh no! you are too good for me your highness. I am a simple commoner and you are a prince. I can't dream of being your wife."

Dev was getting frustrated.

" Look I am not aware of any laws forbidding marriage between a royalty, and a commoner at least not in this empire."

"Your highness you are not getting it. I don't want you to marry me out of pity. I know Princess met you. She cares for me that's why she put this condition. You don't have to marry me out of compassion."

Devburman looked puzzled.

"I must leave now your highness." She bowed and turned to leave.

Dev grabbed her hand and pulled her towards him. Her body slammed into his. He covered her lips with his and drew her out into a long deep kiss. It was soft and gentle, not demanding like earlier.

She looked dazed when he released her not knowing what to say.

"What just happened, was it pity?" He whispered, gently caressing her face

She turned crimson and stared at him shocked.

"Why are you looking so shocked. We have already done this before!" He smiled, at her shocked expression.

She turned a shade deeper.

"I am marrying you because you belong to me. No other man will ever touch you. You are only going to serve me no one else. Not even you princess. Do you agree?"

She nodded. Her throat had gone dry.

"Good. I will send a proposal to your parents soon." He announced.

"You love me?" She whispered as if in a daze.

"Of course, your princess considers herself to be very smart. She thinks she manipulated me." He smirked.

"Don't tell her I would have married you anyway."

Poonam giggled.

Poonam remained standing there stupefied at the spot, long after Dev left. She was still shocked over what had just transpired.

********

"So you schemed this?"

Chitra asked Shiv after he had kept her locked indoors all day. She was still sore. They had done it like 5 times already. He grinned while she lay in his arms.

"You could have told me. I would have never stopped his highness from proposing to Poonam."

"I know but this is better isn't it?" He kissed her forehead.

"Shameless!" She said.

"Only for you." He winked at her.

" So what next?" She asked.

"You want more?" He grinned.

"Hell no! I am asking about Dev Bhaiya and Poonam. How will they get married?"

"You tell me. You planned all this" he closed his eyes and stroked her hair lazily.

"He will have to talk to her parents. I am sure they will agree. Then you people will have to arrange a proper wedding and get everyone's blessings."

"Hmmm, that can be done. I will talk to my father tomorrow."

"What if he disagrees?"

"He won't. I will convince him."

Chitra closed her eyes assured that Shiv would manage everything.

*******

"Devburman wants to marry a maid!" Bhojraj almost screamed.

Dev and Shiv were standing in front of Bhojraj.

"She is not a maid Your Majesty. She is a Kshatraani from a reputable family." Devburman said.

"She is still a commoner. Here I have proposals from some of the best kingdoms and you have chosen her. You can have her as your mistress why do you have to marry her."

Bhojraj said irritated.

Dev looked indignant " Your Majesty she is not someone to be taken as a mistress. You know the law. I love her." Dev said.

Shiv smiled and looked at Dev proudly.

"Looks like I am not needed anymore. Both of you have been taking your decisions and enforcing whatever you wish! Fine, do whatever you want!" Bhojraj said.

"Father please don't be angry. You promised you would compensate Dev bhaiya for what he did for the empire. He has been wronged earlier, we must grant him his wish." Shivaditya said.

"I won't go against your wish uncle, but I love Poonam," Dev said quietly.

Bhojraj smirked "You both will be over your love withing 5 years... Fine, I permit you to marry Poonam. She will inherit your title. I will write to King Kirtiveer soon."

To be continued.....