Chapter 56 - Fair

Chitra was lovingly tying a Gajra(flower hair ornament) into Poonam's hair while she fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Be still Poonam?" Chitra said.

"Princess.....I am not used to this.."

"Chitra" Chitra corrected her.

"Chitra...I am not used to this. Why are you doing this?" Poonam said uncomfortably?

She was having a hard time adjusting to her new status. She wasn't used to being so casual with Chitra or being waited upon by her.

"Get used to it.....I made one Gajra for Kamakshi as well. She loved it. All done."

Chitra looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was arranged into an elaborate twisted bun. Several ornaments of gold and flowers adorned it.

"It's beautiful. thank you yours. I mean Chitra."

"Better" Chitra Grinned.

Kamakshi arrived soon after.

"Ready?" Chitra asked Kamakshi.

She blushed.

"Are you going somewhere Chitra?" Poonam asked.

"Yes, we are going riding with Vikram. Kamakshi has never met him. So she is coming along as well."

Poonam nodded.

Chitra and Kamakshi left while Poonam walked towards Devburman's quarters.

"Have you seen the Prince? He is so handsome?" One female voice said.

Poonam stopped in her tracks. Palace maids were used to gossiping and sometimes they yielded valuable information.

"Oh yes, he is very handsome, do you know he spent the entire night with the Nagarvadu?" Another maid said.

They both giggled.

Poonam furrowed her brows. Vikram had a reputation. Everyone was aware of it except perhaps, Chitra. But Poonam didn't expect him to continue this in his perspective in law's place.

"Is he more handsome than His Highness Shivaditya?" A third voice said.

"No, but he is at par and unlike Prince Shivaditya he is very generous with maids." The first voice giggled.

"Really?"

"Yeah, maybe he might take you as his mistress if you try."

They all laughed and Poonam was irritated. She had a sudden urge to give them a verbal lashing but she refrained from it.

She wondered if she should inform Chitra or Dev but decided it was just maids gossiping. Sleeping with Ganikas was no big deal for men from nobility either. The king might not even take it seriously herself maintained a harem of concubines.

One of the disadvantages of being a princess was that her movement was greatly restricted. Earlier she could move around freely now she had to follow a long list of protocols that she was still trying to memorize.

**********

Chitra, Shivaditya, Kamakshi, and Vikram were riding their horses through the city.

Kamakshi had blushed profusely on being introduced. Vikram was alluring.

After the tour of the city, they had proceeded to the outskirts which had thick vegetation.

"Your security is outstanding! Your highness" Vikram said to Shivaditya.

"Thanks, your Majesty. honour to be praised by you." Shiv responded.

"I can see why Badami is called impenetrable. It's hard to sneak out or sneak in through our 5 levels gates." Vikram said.