Chapter 22 - Badami

It was midday when they first saw the high stone walls crest over their hilly path, high and lofty in the distance. Shivaditya had sent messengers ahead of them, as a result, the city gates were opened wide for their procession.

The soldiers hailed their prince from the sentry towers. The city itself was enormous, one of the largest on the Continent, and its sights were varying, its people diverse - it was filled with both noblemen and beggars, mercenaries and scholars, holy monks and workers.

Most of them swarmed near the procession. The streets were broad enough to allow their caravan to move on, but there was such a crowd of gawkers and onlookers that it hindered their progress, and they moved with torturous slowness. So many called out to the prince that it was pretty noisy.

In the distance, the palace rose before them, a magnificent structure that dwarfed every other building they had seen thus far. It was tall - tall enough that necks had to be craned to look upon it - but also wide and expansive, almost certainly capable of housing half the population of the city itself, if it came down to it. But first, they had to traverse a bridge.

There were more gates to cross, more checkpoints to pause at and archers to go under, making it amply clear that it was a place not easily breached. But the palace itself was grand and lavish, not above displaying opulence. Eight stone pillars lined the entrance, with ornate carvings.

And it was this that was to be her new home.

He had filled her with information about his family, during the journey. His family comprised of his father the king, of course, his mother, and a younger sister.

As the procession finally entered the courtyard, they were assailed by an army of servants and stableboys, swarming them and ready to make preparations for their welcome.

She nervously stepped out of the carriage. Right in front of her was the gigantic stairway decorated with rose petals like a red carpet. The courtyard was lined with maids and attendants who were showering flower petals on them.

He held her hand while escorting her up the stairs. She was glad she had dressed in her heaviest sari and jewellery.

"We'll take the blessing of the father and mother first. You would also be formally introduced to the court" He explained.

She nervously nodded and followed him.

When she entered the throne room her eyes grew in wonder.

Majestic word would be an understatement. The size and grandeur of the main court were beyond description. She had seen the huge Palace of Gurjar-Pratihar but this was mindblowing.

No wonder Chalukyas were one of the most powerful kingdoms.

She could see The king and queen seated on the throne and she bowed to greet them. She could tell Shivditya got his looks from his mother.

"Welcome back my son !" Bhojraj greeted.

Shivaditya bowed.

"Father I present you, Princess of Navsarika and my wife Chitrangada," Shivaditya said.

"So this is Princess Chitrangada. The enemy's woman. She is indeed beautiful. I can imagine Vallabhdev's face when you nicked her from right under his nose" Bhojraj chuckled.

Chitra didn't understand what he meant by that statement.

"I am pleased to see that you achieved your goal. Navsarika would be a very important ally" Bhojraj said.

Queen Vijaya got up from her throne and walked up to Chitra.

She lovingly placed her hand on her head and said: "I am so blessed to get such a beautiful daughter in law".