Chapter 1 - A princess is born

Sometime in 950 AD, a beautiful daughter was born to Rani Kalawati and Raja Kirtiveer of Navsarika.

Navsarika was a Vassal state under the Gurjar-Pratihar Empire.

Maharaj Vallabdev of Gurjar-Pratihar was a benevolent, just ruler. He had been close friends with Raja Kirtiveer since their childhood days. When he got the news about the birth of his daughter, he got a brilliant idea.

Navsarika was a particularly important province for the Gurjar-Pratihar empire. It was on the border with the Chalukaya Empire his sworn enemy.

30 years back their forefathers had fought a bitter war which led to huge losses on both sides. Their relationship had been strained ever since, and small border skirmish was a regular affair. To ensure the safety of his kingdom it was important to have strong alliances with the bordering Vassal states.

Though Raja Kirtiveer was his friend. He needed something bigger to keep him as his ally. Something deeper than friendship. With this thought in mind, he picked up his quill and started to pen down a Royal letter.

Raja Kirtiveer took the squirming tiny bundle in his arms and looked at her in wonder. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

"I must have done something benevolent in my previous life, that I got blessed with such a beautiful daughter."

Rani Kalavati smiled at her husband surrounded by her maids and ladies in waiting.

"She is beautiful like the moon, what should we name her ?"

"We'll need to ask Purohit Ji for that" Kalawati replied.

A maid rushed in their room and announced -

"Your Majesty there is a messenger from Patan waiting to meet you."

Patan was the capital of Gurjar-Pratihar. A vibrant, prosperous city.

Kirtiveer nodded and proceeded to receive the messenger. In the court, his chief minister read out the Royal letter.

"Congratulations my friend for being blessed with a daughter. I hope both the mother and the child would be in the best of their health. On this joyous occasion, I have a request. I am proposing a marriage between the crowd Prince Vikram and your daughter when they are of marriageable age.

I would be obliged to have your daughter as the future queen of the realm. My dear friend I hope you will accept my humble request"

Kirtiveer's face lit up with a smile. His daughter would be the future queen!

He replied to the messenger "It is my honor to get Prince Vikram as my son in law. I graciously accept Maharaj's proposal"

The court rose in applause.

Kirtiveer waited for the applause to die down then announced.

"I am issuing a Royal decree. From this day onwards my daughter is engaged to the Crown Prince Vikram of the Pratihara Empire. I will arrange for their grand wedding at the appropriate time in the future. This is my promise to Maharaj Vallabhdev."

Thus the yet to be named princess was engaged to the 6-year-old Prince Vikram on the day of her birth.

***

Raja Kirtiveer looked the Raj Purohit (court astrologer) while he read the Astrological chart of the baby Princess.

"She is destined to be the queen your Highness".

Raj Purohit said.

"But I see a conflict"

"What do you mean ?" Kirtiveer looked worried.

"Don't worry Your Majesty. She will face troubles just like any Royal but a conflict in her life would either bring a great epoch of peace or war" Raj Purohit said.

"Will she be happy ?"

"It depends on how things materialize your Majesty. I can't say much."

Queen Kalavati who has been rocking the baby said "But what should we call her ?"

"As per her astrological chart, her name should start with C".

"Let's call her Chitrangda after the wife of the great warrior Arjun". Kirtiveer said.

"Yes... that's a lovely name, Chitra in short" Queen Kalavati replied

The baby cooed in her arms.

"She likes it" The queen smiled.

"So Chitrangda it is. Make an official announcement. The newborn Princess will be called Chitrangda.

She will also be Putrika in case we fail to have a male heir".

Queen Kalavati and his Chief advisor Maansing looked at him.

Putrika women were those women where the inheritance passed on through the female line. In case a king failed to have a male heir or sometimes it was a regular custom in some societies that the Royal linage would pass on through the female line.

Putrika women's child was declared the next heir.

It was common practice in Ancient India which declined later in Medieval age.

"As you wish Your Majesty. Princess Chitrangda will be the Putrika for Navsarika" Chief councilor Maansing said.

To be Continued.