Chapter 19 - The wedding

After her outburst, Chitra was sent back to her room while Kirtiveer pondered over the next course of action.

Chitra was pacing restless, in her room. Her wedding veil was thrown haphazardly on a chair. sat down in front of her vanity mirror and started to remove her ornaments, she in the process of removing her a rather heavy necklace when Poonam interrupted her.

"My lady, what are you doing? It took hours to put them on." She sighed, at the waste of her efforts.

"I am not getting married to Shiv," Chitra replied, casually throwing off her necklace.

"But why my lady?" Poonam asked while other maids cowered in fear. Chitrangada rarely lost her temper. But she raised hell in the palace whenever she did, it was one of those rare occasions.

"Why does he want to marry me?" Chitra questioned her back.

Poonam replied, "Well he said he is responsible for this mess, so he wants to make amends."

"Exactly ! that is why I don't want to marry him. He doesn't love me. He is doing this out of compulsion" Chitra said angrily.

The wedding was to take place in a few hours.

Vikram had stormed out angrily followed by the rest of his family. Only Vallabhdev remained for the wedding.

"So what is wrong with that your Highness? Aren't you happy? You love him, don't you? You are getting him finally. What else do you want?"

"I want freedom! I want to make my own decisions. I am tired of everyone asking me to remain quiet while they take my life's decisions." Chitra stood up and started pacing again.

"So, you would prefer marrying prince Vikram?" Poonam asked puzzled while picking up the ornaments which Chitra had thrown around.

"No! Never! I am glad that the wedding has been called off." Chitra sighed with relief. At least some good had come out of this chaos.

"So what do you want, my princess?" Poonam asked exasperated.

Chitra bit her lips. She was confused did he love her or all this was a well-planned conspiracy?

"He lied to me Poonam. He could have told me his real identity. All this while I was..." Chitra broke off.

"I must talk to my father."

"You will not do any such thing."

Kalavati's voice boomed in her room. Chitra turned around and saw Kalavati standing at her room entrance.

"But mother ....."

"No Chitra. This is the only way to save our reputation. It's very gracious of the crown prince to accept you as his wife. Please don't ruin it for us."

"But mother he is not doing a favour. He is just trying to rectify his mistake. He...he doesn't love me" She mumbled.

Kalavati sighed.

"Men don't love us, the way we do Chitra. Who has put these romantic notions in your head? You have to just do your duty. Obey him and do whatever he says. Do you understand?"

Chitra looked on grumpily.

"That's a terrible way to live mother!"

"Chitra you don't have a choice. Please don't be difficult. Think of your father. We have narrowly avoided a war!" Kalavati explained.

"And why are you dressed like this? It's your wedding. We would be a laughing stock if we send you off dressed like that !" Kalavati shook her head in disapproval.

She gestured the maids to dress up Chitra into an appropriate attire, which meant donning those kilos of jewellery again.

Chitradgada had realized, that nobody cared about her opinion right now. Everyone was busy saving their obscure "honour". She did feel butterflies in her stomach at the prospect of marrying Shivaditya.

In an hour, she was seated next to Shivaditya under the same mandap, going through the wedding chants and rituals. Everything was so surreal she had to pinch herself to believe it was true.

But what if he had not reached on time? She would be Vikram's wife by now. Why was he doing this?

With a confused mind, she went through the rituals and they were declared husband and wife.

She looked at Shivaditya, he was beaming but kept a straight face. Even the bidai(farewell) was rushed as if everyone was eager to get rid of her.

She was seated in a comfortable carriage and proceeded with Shivaditya's entourage. Shivaditya was riding ahead. They hadn't exchanged a single word till now. She looked out and was surprised by the size of his army. It seemed as if he had come prepared for war!

They travelled all day. Badami his capital city was far. As the dusk approached they stopped and set camp for the night. Chitra was escorted by a bevvy of maids into a big tent. It was huge from inside and was luxuriously furnished.

"Fit for a king," She thought.

She heard someone approaching and turned around. Shiv was standing in the doorway looking as majestic as ever. For a minute she forgot her anger and confusion. He came near her and held up her chin forcing her to look at him.

He gazed deep in her eyes and s: aid "You are the most beautiful bride ever."

Turning crimson she looked down.

"You know you look gorgeous when you blush ?" He asked.

She glared at him "You are the crown prince of Chalukya ?"

"Yes"

"Why did you lie to me ?"

"I was travelling incognito. I couldn't reveal my identity." He replied simply, still staring at her.

"Why did you let me believe that you abducted me ?"

He laughed "I was just playing along initially, then realized it's better that you don't know my identity. I had no idea that things would end up this way."

She looked at him suspiciously "You didn't plan all this ?"

"What if I did plan? Would it change anything? Aren't you happy?" he shrugged.

"There was no need for you to rescue me from my fate." She snapped at him, stepping back a little. Putting some space between them.

"I had decided to make you mine the day I saw you Chitrangada. If fate had other plans, I changed it."

"You are still vague," She said frustrated.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"You are very tired let's have dinner I will explain everything to you in good time." He gave her a reassuring smile.