Chapter 60 - Old Grudges

Devburman had no idea where Poonam lived. He just hoped she was safe. The burnt embers of the once beautiful city filled him with dread.

He divided his soldiers into 2 groups. One to kill the invader others would rescue and help the injured.

Now he had to find Poonam.

Shivaditya had probably never killed so many men at one go the way he was doing now.

There were slain bodies of attackers everywhere around him.

"Your highness we have captured their leader."

Jayaraj informed him.

"Did you find Chitra?" Shiv asked.

"No, your highness we have managed to find his majesty. He is gravely injured but..."

"But?"

"We couldn't find any women in the palace. Not even bodies." Jayaraj said cautiously.

Shiv's eyes blazed with anger.

"Search the entire palace. Where are the Navsarika generals? Ask them."

"Maybe they were sent off to some safe place before the attack," Shiv said as if consoling himself.

Though he feared the worst!

Navsarika was officially under Chalukya control now. They were flushing out the leftover invaders.

Devburman crossed through the scene of carnage. Women were crying over loved ones, injured men crying in pain.

He guessed he was in the court quarters which had relatively less damage than the city.

He saw a familiar figure hunched over someone.

"Poonam!" He kicked his horse to reach her quickly.

She didn't bother to look up at him. Her clothes were in tatters. Soot and grime-covered her lovely face.

He kneeled next to her and gently placed his hand on her shoulders.

"Poonam."

She slowly turned her face towards him. Her eyes brimming with tears.

"They killed my parents" she whispers.

He looked at the dead bodies lying near her. Her father's head in her lap.

"Poonam I am sorry, I was too late, " he said softly.

She broke down sobbing. He watched her helplessly unsure what to do.

"They tried to ruin me. No one has ever touched me like that before. My father died protecting me." She cried.

Dev's face hardened in anger. He hugged her tightly.

"I am here Poonam. I will fix everything."

She continued sobbing in his arms.

Shivaditaya had turned the entire palace upside down. Trying to search for Chitra.

"Your Highness we found the queen along with other women." One of his guards announced.

"Where?"

"Near the forest's edge, they are being brought here."

Shivaditya sighed with relief. Chitra was safe.

Devburman arrived soon after with Poonam. She was wrapped in his cloak and looked traumatized.

"Get the healer," Shiv commanded to one of the guards.

"The city is destroyed Shiv. It will take months to rehabilitate it." Devburman said.