10. flying is for the brave

Lunch was soon over, and all the Gryffindor first years hurried down the front steps into the grounds for their first flying lesson. It was a clear day with a fresh breeze blowing, as they marched down the sloping lawns towards a smooth lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the Forbidden Forest. They were having their lesson with the Slytherins who were already there.

As James, Sirius, Remus, Mareena, Juliana and Peter along with the other Gryffindors approached the Slytherins, they saw about thirty broomsticks lying in neat lines on the ground.

Their teacher, Madam Hooch, who was a short lady, soon arrived and ordered them all to stand by a broomstick.

*{Mareena's POV}*

I wait patiently beside my broomstick as Madam Hooch gives some instructions to those who have never flown on a broom before. Most people look nervous while some look too confident.

The latter are obviously James and Sirius, who look a little too enthusiastic to fly. Lucius Malfoy is staring maliciously in Sirius' direction.

'Lovely family' I mutter to myself as I focus my attention elsewhere.

Lily is standing next to Severus, looking anxiously at her broom as though she's worried it will jump up and attack her. It looks like Severus is reassuring and encouraging her. He seems like a really good kid and Lily and him look quite close.

I feel sad about what he had to go through because of James and Sirius. That was totally immature. I hope they don't do it again but, I have a feeling this is just the beginning.

But I honestly cannot tolerate anymore bullying. The only reason I didn't say much to them was because I didn't want to have a commotion in the corridors. Plus, we would have been late for potions class.

I wonder why they dislike each other so much though. They must have met each other before Julie and I boarded the train, I think to myself.

As Madam Hooch instructs us to get ready with our brooms, I look back at mine.
It isn't really in the best condition but thankfully, it jumps into my hand perfectly as I simply say, "Up."

Others seem to be struggling to make their brooms respond. Julie has hers in her hand and is waiting eagerly to fly.

James and Sirius are looking ecstatic as they give each other mischievous smirks.

Oh no.That can't be good.

Next to me, Remus seems really nervous and his broom, which is staying put on the ground, isn't exactly helping.

"A stubborn one you've got there," I say with a laugh.

"Exactly. It won't even move an inch," Remus replies, quite exhausted after shouting for quite some time.

"Well, I'm no expert on flying or brooms, but dad always says a bit of confidence can go a long way."

"What do you mean?"

"Try taking a deep breath and then command your broom confidently to respond to you. As long as it trusts you, it'll come."

"But what if I say I'm not really confident enough?" Remus asks me, looking anxious.

"Then, fake it till you make it," I reply with a smile as I pat him on the shoulder encouragingly. "Just give it a try, Remus. I'm sure you can do it."

"Alright..."
He takes a deep breath and tries to calm himself down.
"UP!" he shouts more confidently and the broom, this time, jumps into his hand immediately.