23. a memory that's better hidden

May 25, 1970
Vasilios Mansion

"Ree, look! It's the full moon tonight!" Juliana exclaimed, pointing at the moon as she looked out the open window. The summer breeze steadily blew, bringing in the scent of the flowers blooming in the garden.

Mareena looked up from her book and stared out the window at the beautiful white orb in the sky with a slight frown.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Juliana asked, nudging her sister playfully.

"Yes it is," Mareena replied as she returned her attention back to her book, the frown never leaving her face. "But I don't think some would agree. In fact, I doubt they'll be able to see it. They'll be in so much pain and-"

Juliana let out an exasperated sigh. "Not again, Ree," she interrupted. "This is the millionth time you're talking about werewolves and I'm getting tired of it," she said, lying down on the bed. "And you know I agree with you," she added quickly as she saw her sister open her mouth to protest. "But it doesn't mean you have to keep talking about them! Honestly, you should stop reading all those books. They're driving you crazy!"

Mareena let out a deep sigh as she closed her book and walked out to the balcony. The moon, more visible from here, shone brightly among a million tiny stars.

She knew her sister had a point- she did talk about werewolves quite a lot. But she just couldn't help it. Werewolves had been treated like monsters by society for centuries and she just couldn't see why. How could people be so cruel? It wasn't their fault! They didn't choose to be like this...

And worst of all were their transformations. Mareena had searched their library for books about werewolves and had found some that were written by werewolf-supporters. These contained detailed descriptions on how the transformations occurred every month.

Now, as she looked out at the woods stretching far beyond, she felt her heart ache with sadness. She knew there were children who were bitten when they were young and she couldn't imagine the kind of pain they would be going through right now.

She closed her eyes as a fresh summer breeze blew across.

'Wherever you are," she wished softly in her heart. 'I hope that you're alright. Be strong and remember that you're not alone.'

Mareena hoped that one day, she would be able to help them.

"I'm going down to the kitchen. You want anything?" Mareena asked her sister, making her way to the door. Juliana, still lying on the bed with a book in her hand, shook her head. She watched her sister leave and let out a sigh.

Her sister was always on edge on full moon nights. Juliana, herself, was entirely against werewolf prejudices. Their mom and dad too thought that werewolves were highly misunderstood.

But Mareena was different. It was probably because she had a kind and compassionate heart and couldn't bear to see other people suffering. That was her sister- kind, selfless and caring.

Juliana smiled to herself as she thought about the time when a random kid had called werewolves "disgusting monsters" in front of Mareena. He had gone home with a broken nose that day.

Juliana remained on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Suddenly, there came a loud crash from downstairs. She got up from the bed with a start, wondering what on earth could have made such a racket.

A scream echoed through the halls. Mom?!

With her heart beating wildly, she hurried out of the door. She was, however, stopped by someone. A young man in a black suit, his eyes opened wide in panic.

"Young Master. Get back to your room this instant," he said in a low voice.

"Curtis! What's going on?!"

"No time to explain, Young Master. Just get inside!"

"But-" Juliana however never got to finish her sentence as Curtis shoved her back into her room.

"I'll have to lock you in, I'm afraid," Curtis added before closing the door in her face. The balcony wall began to close in, covering up the moonlit night.
"Great," Juliana muttered to herself gloomily as she flopped down on her bed, wondering what was going on outside.

On the other side, Curtis, with a wave of his hand, made the door to the room disappear.

"This is all I can do, Master. Forgive me," he said softly, eyes glassy with tears. "If only I were alive and whole..."

Mareena's POV

"NO! NOT MY DAUGHTER! TAKE ME! TAKE ME!"

"Don't worry, dear...you'll get your turn."

Bursts of wild laughter erupts as mom holds me close, her wand in the other woman's hand. About ten people surround us, the living room in ruins as pieces of glass lay scattered on the floor.

"Who should we begin with?" A man on my right asks, eyeing mom and me with bloodthirsty eyes.

"Hmm.." the woman in front of us bends down and takes hold of my chin, forcing me to look at her. Her dark green eyes give me a cold stare. "How about... your mommy, dear?"

Before I can utter a word, my mom gets dragged by her hair- her beautiful brown hair. I stare at her in horror- her once beautiful and tranquil face now filled with terror and pain. Paralyzed with fear, I stare with tear-filled eyes, unable to think of any way to help her. If only dad was home right now..

"CRUCIO!!" The woman shouts out, cackling with delight. Screams fill the halls of the house, echoing in the moonlit night.

A scream escapes from within me, inaudible amongst the numerous laughs and cheers, as mom screams and cries in agony.

"STOP! PLEASE!" I shout, unable to watch any longer, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Why are you crying, my dear?" A woman bends down beside me, looking at me with pity. "Don't worry.. you'll have your turn next. Just watch your mom for now." She lets out a loud laugh.

Freaks. Monsters. How can they enjoy watching someone in pain??

"HELP!! SOMEONE HELP!!" I shout at the top of my lungs, hoping with all my heart that someone would hear.

"SHUT UP, FOOLISH GIRL!" A man shouts as he waves his wand at me, making me hover up to the ceiling. "NO ONE'S COMING TO SAVE YOU NOW!"

More laughter erupts as I hang upside down in the middle of the living room. "Let me down! Let me down!" I scream.

More screams erupt as they begin torturing mom again, as I remain hanging from the ceiling.
Blood begins rising up my head and I start feeling dizzy. The room begins to spin as more screams and laughter fill the night.

After what feels like a lifetime, I drop to the floor, falling right on my face. As I try to get up on my feet, the room revolving around me in a blur, inexpressible pain shoots up my body as someone shouts out, "CRUCIO!!"

A terrible scream escapes my throat as I feel thousands of swords piercing my body, stabbing me. I hear mom's faint weak voice say from somewhere far away, "No. Not my daughter. Please.. I beg you."

It hurts so much. It feels like my body is tearing apart. Someone...
Please help. Save us...
Daddy....Please..help..

I feel the life within me starting to leave as I hit the floor, blocking out the laughter and the screams. My body feels numb. I catch a glimpse of the night sky before getting surrounded by darkness.

The full moon was shining with all its glory among a million tiny stars.