38. Christmas at the mansion

Days went by in a blur and Mrs. Vasilios' health remained the same. The potion seemed to be doing it's job, unbeknownst to the family, as its effects on the victim were supposed to be gradual so as not to arise suspicion.

The healer whose form they had been using all this time was actually long dead; killed by the dark wizards in order to carry out their plan for revenge.

No one suspected a thing and Mrs. Vasilios was given the potion every night by her diligent daughter.

The Christmas holidays were a gloomy affair; the place appeared cold and dark even with the fire burning while the frost covered the garden like a blanket, flowers that had bloomed in the summer long gone to sleep.

No one really visited the Vasilios Mansion. Not only was it located in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the woods in all directions, but people also simply did not want to risk their lives after hearing numerous rumours of it being a target among dark wizards.

But no one could deny that it was one of the most beautiful mansions they had ever seen.

The garden was filled with lush green grass all year round and thin trees that twisted into bewitching shapes were scattered on every side.

Clear water flowed from fountains, each sculpted in the shape of a merman. The huge gate in the front was black and gold with the family motto engraved in the middle.

At the back, a tiny gate led to a tiny wooden bridge over a clear stream. The bridge led to a clearing in the woods they had named The Space and this was where the two girls had taken their defence lessons from their dad and Lucian.

Yes, no one visited but they didn't mind the tranquillity they experienced.

Alastor Moody, another Auror and a friend of their father's, was the only one outside family members who'd visit occasionally and despite his gruff personality, Mareena and Juliana found that they were really fond of Moody, or as they called him, Uncle Alastor.

They had sent all their friends presents and Christmas wishes to all their families and hoped everyone would like their gifts.

* * *

Early Christmas morning, they were awakened by the sound of a whole group of owls arriving by their window, making the place look like an owlery.

Mareena and Juliana squealed with joy when they saw who they were from and ran down to tell their parents that their friends had sent them presents.

They got a bunch of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion and some home-made brownies from James;
two copies of 'Quidditch Through The Ages' from Sirius with a note that said, "What's life without quidditch?";
a box of chocolates and handmade scarves(by his mom) from Remus;
and a generous array of candies from Peter.

They were also delighted to see presents from their other three friends;
a pair of keychains that had "Friends Forever" engraved on it along with some daisies for their mom from Lily;
tiny cat-shaped earrings for Mareena and a necklace for Juliana from Marlene;
and a hilarious joke book from Alice with a note that read, "Hope this makes you laugh when you're sad."

Mr. and Mrs. Vasilios were happy to see that their daughters had made such great friends and to say it in Curtis' words, "And blimey! Seven of them to top it off!"

Xenophilius had also sent them some Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans along with a 'Get Well Soon' card for Mrs. Vasilios and an unusual collection of different shaped stones which, he claimed, would keep unwanted creatures out. They made a mental note of asking him what he meant by 'unwanted creatures' the next time they see him.

As promised, Lucian sent Mareena a beautiful copy of "Little Women" and Juliana got several pairs of cute woolen socks with broomsticks and snitches embroidered on them.

In the end, only one package remained. They checked to see who had sent it but there was no name on it. The two girls looked at each other and then back at the package in confusion.

Who could it be from? And why on earth did they not write their name on it? It all seemed really suspicious but their father was busy taking care of their mom and they didn't want to bother him in case it turned out to be a false alarm.

But what if it contained something dangerous?

They continued to ponder the possibilities. However, curiosity soon got the better of them and they decided to take matters into their own hands.

"Okay," Mareena took a deep breath. "Ready? On the count of three."

Juliana nodded as she looked apprehensively at the box.

"ONE."

"TWO."

"THREE!"

Mareena took off the lid and backed away from the box.

BOOM!

Out came the most beautiful fireworks; smaller than the usual ones so it wasn't dangerous inside the room, but just as breathtaking.

The two girls stood in awe with their mouths hanging as the light emitted by the fireworks filled their room; a beautiful combination of red, yellow, pink and blue.

It was beautiful. They couldn't take their eyes off even for a second. However, it soon ceased and they found a letter inside the box.

* * *

* * *