13. an unexpected encounter

•[ 3rd Person ]•

"You're joking," Remus managed to say.

Juliana, Peter, Remus and Mareena were all shocked as James and Sirius announced their amazing news later during dinner time. Well, Mareena wasn't exactly surprised as she had been expecting it.

Their charms lesson had gone on splendidly and they were now having their dinner at the Gryffindor table, listening to James and Sirius' amazing tale of success. Lily and her group of friends were sitting as far away from them as possible.

"But first-years can't play quidditch according to the rules, can they?" Juliana asked, looking amazed.

"Yeah, but we're simply so good, they're willing to bend the rules this time. Amazing, eh?" James replied, looking smug.

"Well, that's great! Congrats," Remus said, amused at the amount of ego these two boys had but happy for them nonetheless. The other three congratulated them as well, while enjoying their delicious dinner.

James and Sirius continued to repeat their good news with pride to some other Gryffindors sitting nearby. And that included a certain red-haired girl.

"Hey Evans!" James called from across the table. "Heard the news, have you? Now, won't you admit I'm better than Snivellus?"

Lily simply glared back, still angry at him for earlier. James' friends simply looked on at this peculiar conversation with interest.

"Hey. Why do you care what she thinks of you?" Sirius asked with a smirk, eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Someone's got a bit of a crush I guess," Juliana teased. Sirius started laughing hysterically and teased his friend.

James simply smiled back and continued gazing dreamily at Lily.

"But I simply can't believe you didn't tell us before. You didn't tell me!" Sirius exclaimed, fake crying and hitting James' arm.

"You do realise you're not exactly on her 'friend' list right?" Remus asked with his eyebrows raised with a smirk.
The others nodded their heads in agreement.

"Don't worry. She won't be able to resist my natural charms for much longer," James replied with a wink and a huge grin.

"I doubt that," Mareena remarked. "Especially after what you guys did to Severus. That was horrible!"

"Oh, come on Ree! It wasn't that big of a deal," James replied, waving his hands nonchalantly. "Besides, we've got to have our revenge on the Slytherins for earlier," he added quickly before Mareena could say anything else.

"Ooh. I like the sound of that! What should we do?" Sirius exclaimed excitedly.

"Revenge for what?" Juliana asked sternly.

They informed their friends about their encounter with the Slytherins and how Mareena had helped them.

"Wish we could've seen that," Peter remarked admiringly when they heard about Mareena's perfect imitation of Professor McGonagall.

"I don't think revenge is necessary guys," Remus said shaking his head.

"Exactly," Mareena agreed as Juliana nodded her head, glaring at James and Sirius.

"Blah blah blah.. can't hear you!" James and Sirius playfully exclaimed, covering their ears.

They continued having their dinner, bickering and occasionally laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With their stomachs full, they made their way out of the Great Hall, along with several other students from different houses.

This felt different from other times as after the start-of-term feast, they had gone with their specific house prefects; that morning they had come in late for breakfast so there were less students; and during lunch, James and Sirius couldn't wait for flying lessons so they had finished lunch quicker than the other students.

It was much too crowded and noisy. Remus, in particular, felt really uneasy. He felt like his scars were on display. His hand unconsciously went up to block his scars from view.

Wish I could just make these ugly scars vanish..

"Remus," A voice called.
He looked sideways to see Peter looking at him.

"Yeah?" He replied, trying to look normal.

"Are you alright? You look pale," he said, eyebrows furrowed with worry.

"I-I'm fine. Just a little tired."

"Okay... you should get some rest then." Peter suggested, patting Remus' back.

Remus nodded his head, as they made their way through crowds of people.

Mareena was also not feeling really great. Large crowds and noise were never really favourable to her. It made her chest feel heavy and she had to put much of her concentration on breathing. But it was never a serious problem.

As she walked on with her friends by her side, James and Sirius making much of the noise that filled the corridors, she tripped and bumped into someone.

"Hey watch where you're go-" the girl began shouting but stopped midway. As she got a better look at Mareena, her face broke into a grin.

Mareena couldn't believe what she was seeing. How? The question kept on ringing in her head.

'How could we have not noticed before? Did Julie know? No, she definitely doesn't or she would have told me. What is she doing here anyway??'

She stared, horrified at the girl in front of her.

Evangeline Murray.