48. "you're not a monster"

Remus felt dreadful. He didn't know how long Mareena had known nor what she had been thinking, following him in the dead of night like that.

Although he knew she didn't really mind werewolves, he did know something. And it was that she would never look at him the same way again. Everyone knew werewolves were dangerous creatures and she had probably realized that last night.

He knew he would have to keep his distance from her from now on. She couldn't possibly think of being friends with such a vile creature like him.

"And what if the reason was because I care about you?" Her words made his head snap up, unable to conceal his surprise. 'She couldn't possibly still care about me after knowing what I am..!'

Mareena instantly regretted how it came off and quickly added, "As a friend, of course."

"But what if something had happened to you?" Remus asked softly. He would never have been able to forgive himself if he'd harmed her. She was his best friend.

Mareena let out a sigh and put a reassuring arm on Remus' hand. "I assure you, I'll be fine. You guys don't attack animals, you know that don't you?" Remus nodded. "Then I see no reason in talking further about this. The important thing is, you didn't get injured. No broken bones, eh?" she said with a smile, trying to cheer him up.

Mareena noticed that he still didn't seem convinced. She had known him for several months now; long enough to guess what he was thinking; that 'she was just being nice' and that 'she didn't actually want to be his friend anymore'. How far from the truth that was.

"Hey," she said, staring straight into his eyes while he was afraid to meet hers. "It doesn't matter, alright? It doesn't change anything."

"But I'm a monster!" Remus replied in frustration, running his hand through his hair, making it all messed up. "You shouldn't be friends with - with monsters like me!!"

"No, you're not," she said firmly. "Hey listen. You are NOT a monster, okay? You're a great person. And no matter what, we'll be friends. Always. Got that? But if you call yourself that again, I swear I will kill you myself."

Remus stared at her in shock. "But I'm a-"

"Oh yes, yes. I know what you are," Mareena interrupted. "A chocolate-obsessed, book-loving guy who has a kind heart and is the greatest friend I could have ever asked for. So stop sulking and please let me help you."

Remus swallowed back his emotions as he processed all this: She found out about his secret, and was still willing to be his friend! Mareena seemed resolute on helping him and although he still didn't want her to get hurt, he decided to trust her and nodded.

"Miss Vasilios!"

Mareena jumped up in surprise as Madam Pomfrey stared at her, wide-eyed. "What are you doing here?!" she exclaimed, giving Remus a questioning look.

"Er- Madam Pomfrey, it's alright. She knows," he told her.

"She knows?!"

Both Mareena and Remus nodded their heads.

Madam Pomfrey looked back and forth between the two friends and finally sighed as she said, "Well, if you're okay with it Mr. Lupin. But Miss Vasilios, you must keep this a secret at all cost."

"Of course, Madam Pomfrey."

"Hmm...," Madam Pomfrey muttered to herself, as she checked on Remus again. She finally said cheerfully, handing Remus a cup of potion. "You look okay this time thankfully. There were a few cuts here and there but I've healed those. So I'm guessing you'll be able to go after you have this." Then, lowering her voice she added, "You've got yourself a lovely friend, Mr. Lupin. She has come here quite a few times before and I personally adore her."