Chapter 6

"Have the police contacted you yet?" Luke asks me.

"I don't think so, I haven't checked my phone yet, but I'll check and call them today," I tell him.

"Alright, let us know if you need any help with anything once they do," he replies back. "Yes, and please make sure you get adequate rest," Michael says, noticing my bruised and sunken eyes. "I know you're going through a lot right now, but we're here for whatever you need."

They are honestly the kindest doctors I've ever met. "Thank you," I tell them, truly grateful for their help. "I should get back inside. I don't want her to feel alone."

"Of course, go ahead," he replies. I say my goodbyes to them and walk back into Dalia's room. She's asleep. I go to her bed and just hold her hand for a little while, wiping tears from my eyes as I feel my heart break from seeing her so hurt and vulnerable.

My phone vibrates on the chair so I got to pick it up. It's Ethan.

(A/N: Bold is Ethan and italics is Daniella)

"Why didn't you tell me?" Is how he greets me when I pick up the phone.

"I just went over to the cafe to drop off your laptop since you left it at my place yesterday, and Ms. Penny tells me. Seriously?"

"I'm so sorry E, it literally happened last night and there's so much that I've had to think about in such little time, it literally slipped my mind. I'm so sorry," My voice gets thick towards the end, on the verge of tears.

I think he notices because his tone immediately shifts, calmer. "I'm so sorry, D. I'm really really sorry."

"Where are you right now?" "Hospital." "K. I'll be there soon. I just need to stop by the university on my way to pick up my chemistry textbook and call in my absence. Want me to get you a permission slip as well?"

"That would be amazing, could you also get an online switch form?"

"You're switching to online?" "Just for this month, or term, whichever they allow. I need a little flexibility timewise."

"Yeah, makes sense. I'll get that too. See you in about an hour!" "K. Bye!"

I end the call, sitting down on the chair and resting my face on my hands. I'm so thankful to have Ethan. We've been friends since childhood even though he's almost 3 years older than me. We both graduate together in a few months

Ethan and I are dance partners, and he's always supported me throughout everything. Last time I was in the hospital, it was for my parents. I was 17 at the time, almost 18, but the state still wanted me and Dalia to be placed in the foster system because I wasn't "mature" enough to take care of us.

At the time, I was in my first year of college, although I was already considered a junior because of the credits that transferred from high school. I worked at the cafe for fun, and performed A LOT because dance was the most important part of my life.

Dance and medicine have been my passions for as long as I can remember.

And then things started to go downhill because I filed a court case, not wanting to be in foster care for literally a month and a half, and also wanting to have custody over my sister.

But we needed help financially, so I tackled 3 jobs, the court case, taking care of Dalia and Cocoa, my education, and my parent's funeral and stuff. I never had proper time to grieve because I was always swamped with work.

Thankfully I won the case, Dalia and I got to stay together in our house, but one slip up, and the state will take her away from me. That's what I'm most worried about right now.

What if her being in the hospital makes them change their decision? I need her, and she needs me too.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by my phone buzzing again. An unknown number. That's the second time in 2 days, but I have a feeling it's the police this time.

I answer the call, "Hello?"

"Good morning, am I speaking to Daniella Smith," a female voice asks.

"Yes, this is she. May I know who's calling?"

"I'm calling from the LAPD regarding Dalia Smith's case," she tells me, confirming my doubt.

"Yes, how can I help you," I ask her, walking out of the room as I notice Dalia starting to shift slightly. I swear, I'm going to get so many steps just from walking in and out of her room.

I quietly close her door and walk down the hallway trying to find a quieter space. I walk through an open door into a lounge-like room as the lady on the phone starts to speak.

She's quick and straight-forward, basically telling me to expect some officers to stop by the hospital in the afternoon to discuss what happened and what the plan of action is. By her vocal tone, I know that she hates me.

She probably thinks of me as every other person does. Judging blindly. Too young to live alone, and definitely too irresponsible to take care of a child. If only they cared enough to know my real story.

I have to impress the officers today or else they really might take Dalia away. She ends the call, leaving me to pace the floor with worry. My stomach starts to hurt, making me clutch it tightly. Not this again.

It;s the only reason why I could never be a professional dancer; no matter how good I am. No company wants a dancer that has health issues. Especially ones that have been consistent for years.

I used to care, when my parents were with me. But now I don't. I've been to so many doctors, and had so many needles, tests, and ultrasounds done on me, but no one has a solution because apparently there's no problem. But it's obvious that there is one.

I'm caught up in my pain and don't realize that someone else is in the room until I hear them talking to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello lovelies! I don't really have any updates for you today, it's been a kind of 'meh' day for me. It's incredibly cold and dreary outside, so that doesn't make it any better.

Anyways, please vote and comment. Hope you have a more energetic/cheerful day than I did! Hugs and kisses.