Chapter 14

Luke POV:

"Hey man," I greet Harry while rubbing my face. I need to talk to Ash, I don't know how to help her when she doesn't even let me in.

"You good? Is she alright?" Harry asks me, both of us walking into the hallway and shutting the room door, not wanting her to overhear.

I sigh. "She's hurting and scared. And I don't even know why. I walked in on her crying in the bathroom. So I sat down, hoping that she'd talk, but she stayed quiet. Just staring at the floor for the past hour."

"I spoke to her friend, Ethan," Harry begins. "He has no idea what triggered her panic attack. Said that as far as he knows, she doesn't like doctors because she's been stuck in hospitals a lot, but that's it. Apparently she wants to be a doctor because she wants to help the people who feel the way she does. She wants to be better than the doctors she's had."

"That can't be all," I tell him. "We saw that. One minute she was fine, and the next she was trying to run."

"I agree. There has to be something else associated with it. Some memory, or something that triggered her," Harry says.

I close my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"She has a lot of hospital records," Michael announces as he walks towards us.

"Ya, we know," Harry tells him.

"Yes, but I pulled up the actual records, and I'm going to give these hospitals a call to find out what's going on. Apparently she's been having this stomach issue for a while. Since she was 14, I think," Michael explains.

"Well then, why haven't any of these other hospitals gotten to the bottom of it?" Harry questions, stress clear in his tone.

"Chill, mate," Michael tells him. "That's what I'm going to find out. She okay?"

"I don't even know," I sigh.

"I think Ash just got out of surgery, check if he's free to talk to her," he says, and walks away.

I look at Harry, both of us laughing lightly at the stress in our faces.

"God, we need a break," Harry says as we start walking towards the OR hall.

"For sure," I tell him, tiredly. "I can't even remember the last time I went out for fun."

We both laugh at this, talking about our crazy hours as we search for Ashton. Just as we enter Ash's office, Harry gets called away, so I go in alone.

"Hey! I was just about to come find you to see if you wanted to come with me to check in on Dalia. She's my last patient for the night, and then we can head home. Pretty sure Cal and Michael are finishing up too."

He looks up when I don't respond, noticing my hesitant features. How on Earth do I explain this?

"Luke? You good?" Ash asks, moving his hands away from the files he was looking through.

I shake my head and sigh. "Rough day. You remember Dalia's older sister? Daniella Smith?"

He nods his head. "Yeah, what about her?"

I sit down on his couch, letting my head rest against the back. "So her friend had some concerns about her health, so we thought we could give her a quick checkup. Turns out something else is wrong with her because she freaked out when Michael started. Like actually freaked out. A full on panic attack and stuff,"

Ash grabs a bottle of water and sits down in front of me.

"Michael pulled up her file and apparently she has some medical history, but we don't know what exactly happened," I continue.

"So..." Ash questions.

"So I found her in the bathroom, crying on the floor. And I sat by her assuming she'd talk, but we just sat in silence for like, an hour. How the hell am I supposed to help her if she doesn't tell me what's wrong?"

"Mate, she's young. And she has a lot of weight on her shoulders. I mean, she's a 19 year old who's taking care of a kid, works, and is in college. She was probably just stressed about her sister and freaked out. It's just a coincidence that it happened when Michael was going to give her a check up," Ash tells me, but it feels wrong.

"I don't think so man. Her face honestly reminded me of one of our trauma patients when we trigger them," I say, not convinced with his thoughts.

That's when it hits me. How did her parents die? Maybe we triggered a memory of their death.

I tell Ash this and he says, "Maybe. I'll go talk to her and see if I can get her to open up."

I immediately grin at him, thanking him.

"I'm only going tomorrow though," he finished, making me frown.

"But-"

"Nope. We're going home now and you're going to rest. We've all noticed how tired you are lately. I think it might be time to go home for a couple weeks. I'll ask Cal to talk to our families about it," Ash says, making me cave.

"Fine," I groan, both of us heading out to Cal's office to wait for Michael to finish. We usually carpool when we have the same shifts since we're all going to the same place anyways.

~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello lovelies! How is everyone doing? I'm honestly pretty tired. I feel like there's way too much craziness in my life right now, but it's alright.

Also, I'm so proud of myself for doing a double update AND updating twice this week!! (So like, 3 chapters!)

Please vote, comment, and have a wonderful day! Hugs and kisses.