Chapter 46

~Kurt~

It's been almost three weeks since I've seen or even heard from Adriana. I've thrown myself into my work and the results were great. One largely successful case and just a few days ago my boss handed me the files for one of our firm's most important cases yet.

I'm honored to take on such an important case but my nerves about Tatyana and Mike's engagement party have kept me from anything more than a few glances at the files. I'm not so much nervous for the party but I am nervous to see her again. I finally told my parents we broke up and of course they were heartbroken. I was too. Even if it was a fake engagement, the heartbreak I felt was real.

"Kurt, are you sure you should be going tonight?" My mom stands at her kitchen island cutting up vegetables. I only dropped by to borrow one of my dad's ties. I walk over to her and kiss her cheek while tying the tie properly. She of course adjusts it just slightly then smiles.

"Yes, mom. I know both Tatyana and Mike. They even sent me an invitation after Ana and I broke up."

"I know that," my mom sighs and I can tell she is holding back something.

"What is it?" It doesn't take much pressure for her to speak.

"You're not over Ana. At all. Even a little bit. It's been three weeks. And you're still deeply madly in love."

"Wow," is all I can say. "That's dramatic."

"Well, am I wrong?" My mom puts the knife down and gives me a stern look.

"I mean, it's a bit dramatic but okay fine. I'm not over her." I sit down at a stool across from where my mom continues to cut the veggies. "But that doesn't mean I can't handle this party. Maybe she will not be there. Okay she definitely will, Tatyana is her best friend but I probably won't even run into her."

Mom gives me another look which makes me keep talking.

"Even if I do, I'll be fine." I try to reassure her and myself. Wow, I'm getting close to 30 and I still act a fool over a girl. "I'll be fine." I repeat, firmer this time.

"Sure, you'll be fine." My mom gives a small smile, a sly smile. "You look very handsome. Have a nice evening." My mom practically shoos me out the door.

"Thanks for the tie, dad!" I shout on my way out and I see him wave goodbye.

On the drive over I can feel my heartbeat speeding up. When I pulled into the nearly full parking lot of a El Mezcal, I grip the steering wheel and try to mentally prepare myself for the evening.

I join a group gathered in front of the restaurant, introducing myself and recognizing some of them, then I make my entrance with them. The room is crowded. Tatyana is quite popular and super friendly so I am not surprised by the number of people attending the engagement party. I can feel eyes on me but from the looks I've been getting recently from my parents, it's probably just someone who feels sad for my broken engagement. I've already had a couple people approach me and tell me how brave I am for coming here tonight. Smiling and waving away their worries is the only thing I can think to do at the moment.

The rooms get too crowded for me so I make my way to the back patio that is also decorated for the evening. I admire the decorations as it gets quieter the further I get from the restaurant doors. I can still hear the chatter from the inside since the doors are propped open but it's quieter out here. A beautiful evening really.

"Hi, Kurt," a voice says softly and I turn to find Adriana a couple feet from me. I take a step back automatically and my fingers begin to sweat around the glass I'm clutching a little too hard.