Chapter 42

~Kurt~

When Adriana turns to say goodbye to Tatyana, I take the moment to admire her. She looks great. She probably dressed up to be polite for this dinner, but some part of me hopes she dressed up for me too.

We head out of the apartment and down to the curbside where I parked my car. Adriana is quiet for a few minutes so I pay attention to the directions to Dave's house.

"Dave and Nicole. That's their names right?" Adriana says after a few moments of silence. Her voice is soft. "I remember meeting Dave but I don't think I've met Nicole. That is what you said her name is, right?"

"Yes," I reassure her. "You met Dave at our housewarming party but his wife, Nicole, was unable to make it." I turn onto the highway, rolling the windows up.

"Okay," Adriana hesitates.

"We don't have to do this. I knew it was going to be awkward but.. I should just tell them we aren't together." I start looking for an exit to get off and turn around to bring Adriana back to her apartment. "I don't know why I haven't been able to tell anyone we broke up. Or called off our engagement I guess."

"I haven't told anyone either," Adriana admits. "Well, besides Tatyana but she already knew we weren't really together."

"Right. Why haven't you told anyone? Don't you think you should mention that, especially if you're back to dating Callum." I can't keep the bitterness out of my voice. I shouldn't feel hurt by her decision to go back to him, but I do. I hope Adriana doesn't hear the tone of my voice.

"I'm sorry," Adriana says softly, I wait for her to say more, why is she sorry? But she doesn't elaborate. "I think we should go. I liked Dave, I would feel bad if they have a whole meal set up and we bail last minute. So I think we should go. If you're okay with that?"

I give it a few seconds before I respond but I keep the car steady on the highway.

"Okay," my phone announces our next turn, allowing me to keep my response short.

Once we pull into their neighborhood, I look over at Adriana. She's watching the houses pass us by, I clear my throat and she looks over at me.

"Sorry, did you say something?" Adriana asks, shifting in her seat to face me.

"No, but I just thought I should warn you. They do have two young children. They are wild. I think one of them is two years old and the other is 5 maybe. I know she's a couple years older than her brother."

"Terrible twos." Adriana chuckles. "I like children."

I give her a quick smile then turn back to the road. Of course she likes children. Because she's amazing. Wow, I need to calm down.

"Oh wow, their house is gorgeous," Adriana says breaking my train of thought, just in time so I don't miss their driveway. I pull into it and park the car. Adriana blows out a breath. "Whew, why am I so nervous?"

I look over at her again and she is watching me. I smile and she automatically smiles back. I'm nervous too. I don't want to admit that to her or myself.

"We should go in." Adriana nods in agreement and we both get out of the car. Adriana is holding a small bouquet of flowers. "Where did you get those?"

"I've had them the whole time," she laughs at me and I smile. "Hostess gift. Didn't your mama teach you to bring a gift for whoever is hosting?"

"She did. You're right. Wow, she would be so disappointed right now." The smiling and joking has calmed me down a little. When I knock on the door and it flies open to reveal a grinning Dave, I'm suddenly excited.

"Kurt! Adriana! You guys made, right on time!" Dave grabs my hand pulling me into the house and he slaps me on my back then pulls Adriana into a hug. "Nicole they're here!"

"Yes dear, I heard them knocking!" Nicole calls back to him then she appears out of the kitchen, still wearing an apron. "HI Kurt. Nice to meet you Adriana." She says, coming forward and hugging both of us separately.

"Nice to meet you too, Nicole." Adriana smiles at them both and I can see some of her nerves fading. "Here, these flowers are for you."

Nicole takes the flowers giving Adriana a big grin. "Thank you so much. They are beautiful."

"Well, thank you for inviting us to dinner." Adriana responds smiling politely, beginning to relax.

"Where are the two little ones?" I ask, looking around the house. Before I can react, streaking children come running and fling themselves at me. "Oof!"

"Maggie! You know better than that. And your behavior teaches your brother that it is okay for him to do that too." Nicole bends down and peels Maggie off of me. "Sorry, Kurt." I wave away the apology then grab the two year old in one arm, lifting him up to say hello.

"Kurt, you know these two but Adriana these are our kids. Maggie is five, turning six soon. and The little one there is Benjamin. He is two. And it feels like he's been two for ten years." Dave makes the introductions and laughs when his wife smacks him for complaining. Dave takes Benjamin back from me but before he can get him to settle, Benjamin reaches out for Adriana.

Adriana doesn't hesitate and takes Benjamin from Dave and settles him against her hip, bouncing him gently. She holds his tiny hand and makes cooing noises at him. I try not to stare.

"I think he likes you Adriana," Nicole says to her and sets Maggie back on the ground. "Well I have just a few more things to finish up in the kitchen, please make yourselves at home though. And I have to go put these in some water." Nicole holds up the flowers, smiling again at Adriana.

"I'll help you in the kitchen," Adriana offers and follows Nicole into the kitchen chatting with her.

Dave and I go into the living room with Maggie trailing behind us. Dave takes a seat in the chair by the couch and I sit on the couch leaning back to relax after a long day of work and the mostly awkward car ride.

"Ana is so kind. Especially to Benjamin, and I know he is a handful." Dave and I both chuckle.

"Alright boys, dinner is ready. Dave, honey, can you please get Maggie settled at the table."

"Sure, you need help with Benjamin too?" Dave responds, getting up and picking up Maggie. I get up with him and Adriana appears from the kitchen.

"I can do it, if you don't mind." Adriana offers, still holding Benjamin. And he seems to like her a lot.

"Not at all, thank you," Dave gets Maggie settled and I watch while Adriana carefully handles Benjamin putting him in his high chair and getting him up to the table and putting his little bib on him.

Nicole appears next to me and pumps her shoulder against mine. She speaks quietly , "she is amazing. Benjamin loves her. Are y'all thinking of having kids soon?"

When I can't answer right away, Nicole laughs and pats my back before joining everyone at the table. I clear my throat then sit in the remaining seat next to Adriana.