Chapter 5 - Princess

One Year Later

One Year Later... 

Everything was perfect. At least, I thought so. A few days ago I got a letter from my dad in the Southern Water Tribe. I was hoping for it to be good news. But, wherever I go, bad luck seems to follow. I hadn't opened the letter yet, and I thought right now was a perfect time.

Dear Katara,

I hope you have had a great stay in Ba Sing Se. I need you to come back to the South. I'm afraid you won't be able to come back. I hope you and the Avatar are doing well but I  have to share some bad news.

The Northern Water Tribe has been pressuring us to rekindle the old traditions of the tribe and return the spiritual rituals, festivals, and the royal line. The war has drowned many of our sacred Water Tribe traditions. To spark them back to life, I need you to return to the South so we can give someone your hand in marriage.

Love,

Hakoda

I didn't have any words to this. I was happy, I had a loving boyfriend, the Avatar! What more could I ask for. Slowly, tears began running down my cheeks like a dam that burst. Just as they came, I wiped them away when I heard a knock on the door. 

"Katara?" I heard Aang's sweet voice fill my ears and make me smile.

"Can I come in?" After a few moments, when I didn't give a response, I heard the door slowly creek open. "Sweetie!"

He ran over me and snaked an arm around my waist and he used his thumb and cleaned off the loose tears. I breathed in his fresh cinnamon scent and the strength of his arm around my waist. 

"What's wrong?" Instead of responding, I took the scroll and passed it to him. Aang took the scroll in his hand and read through it, occasionally frowning or keeping an emotionless expression. I could tell by the look in his eyes he didn't like this. His grey eyes flickered with anger and sadness. 

"We'll get through this," Aang reassured me, "Together."

I smiled at his reply, but I saw the hint of worry in his voice and the way his eyebrows scrunched when he reread the letter. I snuggled closer within the crook of his arm and Aang wrapped me in his comforting embrace. Just as he came, he slowly stood up and started towards the door. 

"Where are you going?" I asked, bolting up. 

"The Southern Water Tribe, you're coming, too."

I was shocked. Aang wanted my hand in marriage, why else would he want to go the South? Without giving a retort, I walked towards Aang, my head down,  and entwined my fingers with his. He took my hand and kissed it. 

I know this is short, but trust me, the plot... THICKENS!!!

Check out my other stories and reading lists and follow here: 

_lightningthief_