Chapter 1 - Mine

After you know someone for a long time

After you know someone for a long time. You notice the little things about him. Things that other people take for granted. 

Sometimes, those things are physical. Like the way little flecks in Aang's eyes dance around and a little speck of brown on his left cheek. Or the way his eyes glisten in the sun. After all, I can get close enough to say he smells faintly of Jasmine. 

Other times, I notice little quirks about Aang that change my view of him entirely. Like when he gets up early to see the birds soar through the early morning light. Or when he laughs, it seems like he sends a shockwave of energy. And how Aang's smile lights up my heart.

Then, there are deeper things, you only realize when you have a strong bond with someone. Like how Aang stares at the full moon and his mind swirls with the thoughts of Yue, how disappointed he was in himself for letting her go. A single tear trickles down his cheek and then he wipes it off quickly. I'm pretty sure I'm the only heard him toss and tumble through the recurring nightmares of Lord Ozai, and how tears come down like a bursting dam. 

Everyone in this world has different dreams and adventures. Aang is my dream and my adventure. Every time I'm with him its a different experience. I lose my sense when I'm with him, I don't think. My mouth knows exactly what to say and do, my legs know how to move. But my mind is always somewhere else, with Aang. 

When I think of Aang, his negative qualities don't define him. When I see those stormy grey eyes, or how he jolts up from his nightmares. Aang is not his grief. Aang is the sound of lighthearted laughter. Aang is the smell of fresh mint and the crisp ocean air. Most importantly, Aang is mine.