Chapter 12 - Let's Go

Here is another piece of (terrible) midnight writing:

[Aang's POV]

"Is everyone ready?" Chief Hakoda's voice rang through the tiny igloo in the middle of the South Pole.

All of the contestants were visibly freezing and shivering. A group of men was huddled in the corner, sharing one giant blanket. Other, braver, people were out in the middle of the igloo, probably freezing, even though I offered them some firebending help. I guess the South didn't like help.

Everyone gave a slight nod in reply and let out shivered breaths.

I rolled my eyes at their stubbornness. They were freezing, and their skulls were so thick they can't get help through it. Not my words, Hakoda's.

I snapped my fingers and lit a flame at the top of my index finger and pointed it towards the depressed stack of sticks in the middle of the igloo. Everyone huddled around it and let their hands out of their pockets.

After a few moments, we could hear pecking at the sides of the igloo and cracks forming. A red hawk flew into the room and dropped by next to the fire. Hakoda slipped the letter off the neck of the bird skillfully and tore off the red linen ribbon that tied the piece of paper together. He handed me the letter and I gripped it hard, and it was on the edge of lighting up with fire.

Dear Avatar,

I'm glad you decided to cooperate. Come to the abandoned bunker north of the city. Make sure it's only you, we don't want trouble now, do we?

A

I scowled at no one in particular while handing the letter to Hakoda. He kept a straight face throughout, masking his sadness, worry, and his inevitable anger. I let out a shaky breath and started to walk out of the tiny igloo.

Azula was no small competitor. But, if I tried my hardest, I could get out of there with Katara and a few scratches. What if they did something to her? Did they hurt her?

After a few hours of flying through the cold, dark, and depressing South Pole, I sat on a small hill which was supposedly thin ice. But at this point, I really didn't care. I looked back at the direction I came from. I could see tiny shadows of the men at were supposed to help me, trudging through the thick snow.

My tiredness and lack of sleep started to kick in. But, I started to feel a growing headache coming that had bothered me for quite a while. Maybe it was a couple day's ago Seaweed Stew that Katara made me eat. Katara. She must be in so much trouble and I'm not there.

I pushed aside my aching head and focused on the shaking ice underneath me.

Wait.

Shaking ice?

Oh god.

Before I could spread my glider, I fell into the cold water below. My breath started to hitch and I was barely able to create a sphere of air around my head.

When I finally caught my breath, I looked down at the sea. The fish were swimming in large groups a few yards away from me. Just past the fish, there was a circular, rusted metal door that looked like the ones from ancient versions of submarines.

I took a deep breath and started swimming towards the metal door and started tugging on it. It was stuck. Great.

I took a gulp of air and blew it straight at the door, make it swing open. There was a large tunnel of air, leading from the door to me, so it wouldn't flood. I started to trudge through the aged seaweed growing on the bottom of the what I assumed was a docking station for other submarines.

As the warm and dingy air of the submarine hit my face, I let a shiver escape my lips as I attempted to light a fire in the palm of my soaked with saltwater hand. The fire flickered, causing a second of warmth to fill me before dimming to nothingness. I sighed, and tried to at least warm myself up if I couldn't see in the ancient, maybe haunted, submarine.

I added a little bit from the next chapter to my terrible writing can be balanced with my not-so-terrible writing. Enjoy 🙃