Chapter 2 - Morning

(1 Day After Defeat Of Fire Lord Ozai)

The most beautiful time of day is dawn. The orange, red and yellow streak the sky like a paintbrush on canvas. As the sun streaks my face, my eyes wander toward the little lump nuzzled into my arm. I can see her closed eyes and part of her chestnut cheeks and a light pink settles underneath. As she takes a breath, her chest slowly rises and falls. As I look at her, I still can't believe I haven't admitted my feelings to her. I decide I don't want to wake Katara up. Watching her sleep is too enjoyable.  

After what feels like forever, Katara stirs and slowly opens her eyes and shields them from the early morning sun. I jump and run towards the other bed across the room. 

"Good morning, Aang." Katara says smiling. Aang looks up at her and shot her back an equally dazzling smile. "How long were you up?"

"Eh, well, I - " Aang's confident façade crumbled as he mumbled, "Just woke up."

"Mmkay. I'm going down to make breakfast, okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm just going to -" The door clicked shut before Aang could say anything. 

Aang was staying at the Southern Air Temple with Sokka, Suki, and Katara. They had defeated Lord Ozai just the day before and decided to have a get together with the group at Iroh's tea shop, the Jasmine Dragon. He quickly freshens up and run down to Sokka's room. In the hallway, Aang can hear his loud snoring. He chuckled and shook his head. 

"Katara, we're thinking of going to the Jasmine Dragon to meet with Zuko to see how they're handing being the new Fire Lord!" 

"That's great, when are we going?" Katara asked, getting the tray of tea and cakes outside, "I hope we still have time afterwards to go to the South Pole!"

"Katara, I wanted to tell you something," Aang started. "These past few months, I felt like, I - I"

"Goood Morning everyone," Sokka yelled as he jumped down the stairs an sat on the table. On the table! That's what the chairs are for!

"Where's Suki? We are having breakfast then leaving for the Jasmine Dragon!" Katara asked, a motherly tone to her voice.

"You don't have to be so motherly, little sis." Sokka continued sarcastically as Katara huffed at the comment. Just as Sokka said that, Suki strolled down the stairs, a beautiful purple and blue kimono. Sokka jumped and his mouth hung open as he looked at his girlfriend coming down. 

I walked away quietly to the shed where Appa was sleeping soundly. I stroked his nose, a low growling sound came from him. 

"I can't believe it! I'm too nervous to tell her!" Appa gave another low, groveling sound, "You're right, I'm going to tell Katara when we head to Ba Sing Se."

"Tell me what?" 

I jumped and turn around to face Katara. Her beautiful chocolate hair and her deep blue eyes locked with mine. 

"Umm... that Momo is feeling sick!" I stuttered, blushing profusely as I looked at Katara's clueless face. 

Slowly, I could see the hint of laughter on her lips. I could say she was holding back giggles as she turned around and walked towards the temple, her hair swaying back and forth and her hands are swinging around as she disappears around the corner. The last hint of her chestnut hair flows past. 

I let out a sigh of relief. Phew!