Chapter 8

Sorry I haven't been posting lately, guys! I have not had much time to be writing lately, but I've really been trying to write more. 

~ ~ ~

Kara has been smoking much more lately, and I feel as time goes by, she's drifting away from me. In the intimacy sort of way. I've been doing my best to help her, but she keeps pushing me away. 

Am I doing something wrong?

I just want to help her. If only I knew how. 

It's Monday morning, which means that Kara and I both have school. I drive, just like normal. We don't live far from the school my Sister and I both attend, maybe two minutes, at most. We're in walking distance, but what's the point in walking when you can drive? 

We arrive at school, and get out of the car. My friend immediately sees me, and runs over. By the time he's here, Kara is already walking into school. 

''You are wearing all black,'' He says, looking me up and down. 

''Uh, yeah, I am.'' I say, like I haven't noticed. Of course I noticed. I picked out, and put on the clothes. What an idiot. 

We walk into school, I part ways, and go into my classroom. We didn't have the same class. 

~ ~ ~

The bell rang. 

I picked up my backpack off the floor, and walked outside, and started walking toward the truck where I was supposed to meet Kara. She was already there, which was unusual, most of the time she always takes awhile before coming to the truck. I don't think she's ever once beat me to the truck.

''Okay?'' I said, opening the drivers door, and throwing my backpack into the backseat. ''You never meet me here early. 

She didn't get into the truck, she only stand on the other side with the passenger side door open, staring at me, with her long, straight blond hair draped over her shoulder, and her pointer finger lightly tapping her arm. ''I'm going to hang out with my friend for a bit today, but I'll be back tonight sometime. I'll need a ride later, actually.''

''Which friend?'' I sound like overprotective a parent. I don't want to be overprotective a parent, that's all me and her have really ever needed before. Not a drunk for a father. Mother does her best. 

''Elle.'' 

''Okay. Text me when you need a ride, or something.'' Or something. 

Elle was a sweet girl. Around me, as far as I know. 

''Sounds good.'' She walked away, and back toward school. When I pulled out of the parking lot, she was no-where in sight. 

~ ~ ~

It's approximately 5:17, and I'm sitting on my bed. I know the current time because I have just checked my phone for a message from Kara. She hasn't texted anything yet, and I don't exactly expect her to have texted already, or right now. It's only been two hours since school ended and she went to be with her friend. 

5:20: My phone dings. I nearly jump off the bed, in excitement. I grab the phone, and open it. Kara texted me to meet her somewhere downtown in fifteen minutes, and to dress nice. 

What does that mean?