Chapter Five

It had been two weeks since we left home, and began sleeping in the truck.

''Kara, we have to go back sometime,'' I said to her.

''I know,'' she said, with an unhealthy look on her face.

''How about tomorrow? Tomorrow afternoon? No one will be home so we can just sneak in.''

She gave a small nod, ''I'm scared.''

''I know,'' I said softly.

Everything will be fine.

                                              -------------------------------------------------------------

''You ready?'' I said, as I pulled the truck into the driveway and parked it.

''Yeah,'' she responded, grabbing her things.

''Okay, let's go.''

I opened the door, and hopped out of the truck, so did Kara. 

We walked up to the door, since no-one was home. It was unlocked, nothing new. Someone could break into our house in the middle of the night, steal everything, and when I wake up, I wouldn't even be surprised.

We really needed to start locking the door.

Nobody was home, except for Kara, and I. A good thing.

I went into my room, sat my things down on my bed, and started putting them away.

Kara did the same.

I heard the front door open, then close. A soft sigh came soon after, and just like that, I knew that it was Mom, back from work. 

She would come in my room first, then Kara's. What would I say? It's not like I can just say, 'Sorry we ran away, Kara tried to kill herself.'

I could hear her put her purse down on the kitchen table. 

I decided to go to the kitchen myself, and greet her. ''Hey..Mom,'' I said cautiously, stepping up behind her. 

She quickly pinned around, ran over to me, and put her arms around me in a hug. ''Oliver James!'' She stepped back, ''I don't know where to start,'' she paused, ''Why did you leave? For starters."

''Well,'' I scratched my forehead, ''We had to get away for awhile.'' 

''That's all? You and your sister are gone for two weeks, and that's all you have to say?''

''Yeah, kinda.''

''We'll talk about this later. Is she here?''

''Hi, Mom,'' Kara said, standing under the doorway to the kitchen.

Mom instantly went in for a hug, faster than she did with me. She pulled back, with her hands on Kara's shoulders, then put her hands on Kara's face, moving the hair away from it. 

We know who the favorite is. Not that I care.