4

Weeks passed with you so much as even sparing a thought to all the loot your brother had brought home from his adventure. You spent your days as you had spent so many before - reading, attending your duties as second-born royalty (mostly keeping the palace staff together) and spending your free time in the ballroom.

You had just finished your breakfast, and were reading your traveler's tome in the library now. The narrator was detailing a desert temple - the towers on either side, the pyramid in the middle, and the most important part; the chamber underneath the structure, rigged to explode if someone entered. You were just getting into it when you heard the gentle cough of teleportation and glanced up from your book to see Tarquin pop into existence. 

You marked your page before setting your book aside. "Hello Tarquin."

"Hello your Highness." He said, mouth set into a solemn line - a dead giveaway that this was not a simple visit for company. 

You frowned slightly. "What's wrong?"

"Your father wishes to see you in the throne room." He said formally, extending an arm. 

You got up from your seat and linked your elbow with his. "What happened?"

"A letter. From the Nether." Tarquin said, opening the door and leading you out into the hallway. Another bad sign - he was walking, instead of just teleporting you both directly to the throne room. 

"About?" You asked. What could the Nether want? They almost never sent any messages across portals, and it was hard to send messages to them - they didn't have a consistent form of government, and no real leaders. It was the strongest who were considered the leaders there, and that could change daily. If they had gathered enough to send a letter, it wasn't good.

"Don't know yet." Tarquin said. "He seemed mildly upset though, and he sent Deirdre to get Malcolinus right away."

You fell silent then, going over every possibility of why the Nether would be contacting you. Tarquin walked in silence alongside you - it was clear that he was mildly concerned as well. And rightfully so - they wouldn't reach out unless it was something important. 

As you reached the throne room, Colin and Deirdre were already inside, stood in front of your father, who was sitting on his throne, a scroll in his hand. You dropped Tarquin's arm when you stepped into the room, bowing quickly before moving to stand next to your brother. 

Once everyone was in place, your father began to speak. 

"This morning, this letter was waiting for me on my desk." He began, slowly, drawing out each syllable. He unfurled the scroll to read the letter. "Esteemed King Etienne of the Overworld," He began. "Two months ago, a battalion of humans came through a portal, armed for battle, and slaughtered twenty six Piglins, taking all of the gold that they had been in possession of. Their necks were split by human iron - not withered swords. We are sending two of our best in an embassy to you, so this transgression may be settled diplomatically." He rolled the scroll closed and set it aside again, tired eyes looking to Colin. "Malcolinus."

Colin shifted on his feet, meeting your father's eyes. "The men were disappointed with the little loot the pillagers were carrying."

"You slaughtered innocent men, and then lied to me." Your father said. He didn't sound mad, just tired. 

"Men?" Colin mocked. "They're a country of monsters, father."

You expected your father to object but he just sighed, running a hand over his wrinkled forehead. "Innocent beings nonetheless Malcolinus. You must stand for your crimes."

You saw the twins trade a look - it was obvious that they had been expecting him to object to what Colin had said as well. 

The corners of Colin's mouth twitched down. "Why? What's done is done-"

"They're sending an embassy." Your father said, cutting him off. "An embassy of two, but two of their strongest, and they will want justice. You'll sit for the negotiations, and you won't complain."

You waited for him to continue, to say that he condemned Colin's actions, that he had never have done such a thing, even if his men wanted to loot, but nothing came. You looked over to the twins, but their faces were passive and stony. 

Your father sighed again, waving a hand in dismissal. "The rest of you may go. Malcolinus, stay. We have much to discuss."

As soon as your father gave the word, the twins disappeared on the spot, leaving you to exit the room on your own - and you did, stepping out into the hall and letting the grand doors swing shut behind you with a thud. Outside, the hall was quiet, and sunlight streamed through the windows, showing the rolling hills outside the castle walls.

It all made too much sense now. Of course Colin would take any excuse to go to the Nether and kill innocent Pigmen just for their gold. It wasn't surprising - he'd grown up scared of anything that wasn't quite human, calling them monsters and beasts, and he'd never really liked the twins. 

It was your father's response that was more concerning to you. Where was the anger at what Colin had done? Where was the rage, the repercussions? All he'd given you was a tired sigh and the wave of a hand, like Colin had broken his helmet, not killed twenty six innocent men. You should have realized it the moment he'd brought all that gold back from his travels - and your father should have as well. 

But now an embassy was coming. Two of their strongest, the letter had said. And Colin was to sit for the negotiations. 

You sighed, sitting down on the edge of a windowsill and leaning your head against the glass - closing your eyes for a moment. You would sit in on the negotiations as well, just to make sure your brother didn't lose his tongue - because it was evident your father didn't care. 

Oh, what a turn the day had taken.