9

The first round of negotiations ended three hours later, with almost no progress made at all. Not that you were expecting anything different, of course - not with Colin spearheading the efforts, but watching him insult and scoff at every turn of the conversation was frustrating to no end. Did he not understand diplomacy and the intricacies of political conversations like this one?

You had escaped to the gardens after the session had adjourned, where you were now soaking up the sunlight on one of the many stone benches scattered around. You were hoping the fresh air would calm you down and wipe away the stuffy tension that had been suffused throughout the throne room. 

Being outside did do something to help - the birdsong settled your nerves, and the gentle splash of water over rocks in the distance eased the tension from your shoulders. Colin's behavior still bothered you though - he was the heir to the throne. Had all those hours spent tutoring him about manners and diplomacy amounted to nothing?

Just thinking about him ruling the kingdom one day made you cringe. 

There was nothing you could really do about it though; Colin had been born first and it wasn't like you could go back in time to change that. You would just have to hope that he would outgrow this... whatever it was, in time to inherit the kingdom-

"Oh, I didn't think anyone would be out here, I'm sorry." 

You turned around to see Technoblade. He was rapidly adjusting the strap on his mask, like he had been going to take it off, but then changed his mind when he saw he was not alone. You shifted on the bench, making room for another person. 

"Please." You said as he turned to leave. "I don't mind." You gestured to the seat next to you. 

Technoblade hesitated, but then lowered himself onto the bench, sitting next to you. You folded your hands in your lap, turning your attention back to the gardens spread out before you. He seemed tense next to you - you weren't surprised though. After three hours of dealing with Colin... anyone would be. He had probably come to the gardens looking for a break from the palace, as you had. You glanced over at him from the corner of your eye. 

"I'm sorry about my brother." You said. 

Technoblade glanced at you. "I wasn't expecting anything different."

"That's not an excuse for the crown prince to act that way." You said. "I'm sorry he even killed those men in the first place."

"I take it you don't like him very much." Technoblade said. 

You sighed, resting your palms against the bench to lean back and look up at the trees hanging overhead. The sunlight dappled through the leaves, leaving a pattern of splotches on the ground and on your clothes. "He's my brother." You said simply, even though it was much more complicated than that. 

Technoblade hummed thoughtfully. "I understand."

You glanced over to him. "Do you have siblings?"

"Brothers. Two." He said, watching a pair of songbirds float by. They swooped in and out of the trees, darting from branch to branch. "I love them, but I don't like them very much."

You laughed slightly. "That's a good way to put it. I'm sure they can't be as bad as Colin though."

Technoblade huffed out a laugh. "Well, they're both wanted fugitives, so..."

The look of surprise on your face must have been blatant, because Technoblade laughed so loud the songbirds scattered, causing you to giggle as well. 

You turned to really look at him then. The flash of a smile from underneath his mask, and the way the sunlight made the pink of his hair glitter like the sunset, and the way the ease had entirely drained from his shoulders when he had talked about his brothers. How could Colin think that these people were monsters? Technoblade was as human as anyone else you had met.

"I would say 'at least Colin's not a felon' but that's not exactly true anymore." You said. "It's like he's an entirely different person..."

It hung in the air for a moment, disturbing the soft breeze. 

"I think it's the growing up together that makes it so... hard." Technoblade said. "I'm sure Malcolinus was just like any other boy when he was young, and you get used to that, so when he does something like this, it's not easy to wrap your head around."

"You sound experienced in the subject matter." You said. 

"Family." Technoblade sighed. 

You hummed in agreement. You felt like he actually understood - the hint of frustration and sadness contrasted with the instant ease when he'd talked about his brothers, and the sage wisdom of his words seemed like he had thought about it many times before. He knew what you had meant when you talked about Colin.

You fell into a comfortable silence then, as nature breathed around you. The songbirds returned, hopping about on the ground in front of you. Your eyes tracked them for a while before they wandered back up to Technoblade. You knew it was impolite to stare, but there was an other-worldliness about him that caught your eye - probably because he was from another world. His etheriality wasn't like the twins though - you were used to purple eyes and long birdlike bones. There was something more solid about him - but maybe that was just the memory of the callouses of his hands on the small of your back. 

Your train of thought was interrupted when your stomach rumbled, loud enough for him to hear it as well. His eyes caught yours and you smiled sheepishly.

"I think I'll go find something to eat now." You said, rising from your seat. "Political negotiations really work up an appetite."

Technoblade smiled. "Oh, I'm sure."

"It was lovely talking to you." You said, politely nodding at him. 

"And you." He said, returning the nod. "I would love to do it again."

You grinned. "Of course. Whenever you like. I would be happy to be a friend to talk to."

With that you smiled once more and made your way back to the palace, feeling his red eyes following you for as long as he could see.