11

Three arduous hours later, you escaped to the garden again, fuming. 

Your brother was the most bigoted and insufferable person you had ever  met. He had actively wasted another day of negotiations fighting over terms that he knew were ludicrous, and you were fairly certain he had no intention of backing down anytime soon. 

You curled your fists into themselves as you walked through the gardens. He was so... insufferable! And for no reason! The embassy was being kinder than they should, if you were being honest, and Colin was being a dick. You wanted to hit him-

No. You took a breath, savoring the fresh outdoor air. You needed to cool off. 

Your eyes caught on the edge of the pond and you made your way over, kicking off your shoes and hiking up your waistband to step into the water, letting the cool waves lap over your feet. 

It was there that Technoblade found you. If it was anyone else you would have been embarrassed to be discovered ankle deep in the fishpond, but strangely, with him you weren't bothered. 

"Is it common for people in the Overworld to just... stand in their fishponds?" 

You turned around, still holding onto your waistband to the hem didn't get wet. "Good afternoon Technoblade." You said. 

He was leaning against one of the trees, watching you with an amused sort of grin peeking out from underneath his mask. You didn't mind however - there was no malicious intent behind that smile, simply childish curiosity, and a little bit of confused humor. 

"Just cooling off." You said, kicking some of the water towards him. "It feels nice and refreshing - care to join me?"

Technoblade glanced down at where your feet met the water, and you could see the hesitation in his stance. "My feet are not exactly... seemly... I wouldn't want to offend-"

"Nonsense." You said, brushing the insecurity away. "If you would rather not, then that's fine, but don't worry about unseemly feet. That's ridiculous - my feet are certainly not as dainty and delicate as they could be."

Technoblade smiled thinly, and reached down to undo the buckle on his boots, sliding them off slowly and revealing something that was not a foot at all. Hooves. You tried not to stare has he hiked his trousers up and stepped into the water beside you, but it was hard. 

You could see him looking at you from the corner of his eye, mapping out your face for any flinch of disgust. For a split second, you were offended - did he really think so little of you, that you would make a comment on something like that? But no - you were related to Colin, and he was probably used to people flinching at his more pig-like qualities.

You broke the tension by kicking a large splash of water at him, sending a spray splattering over his shirt and trousers. 

He gasped, standing stock still for a moment, before reaching down and slapping the surface of the water in your direction and returning the favor. 

It was awfully immature - throwing water on each other until you were both properly drenched - but what better way to unwind and cool off from a strenuous meeting like that? With your mind focused on splashing Technoblade as much as possible, Colin's behavior faded into the background.

Eventually, you brought you hands into the air. "Truce!" You said. 

Technoblade stopped then as well. "Fine, truce."

You sat down on the bank, keeping your feet in the water and patting the soft grass next to you, gesturing for Technoblade to sit down as well. He did, shaking the water out of his long pink braid and tossing it over his shoulder again.

"Much better." You said, smiling at him. 

"Indeed." He agreed, leaning back on his elbows. 

You tilted your head back, letting the sunlight soak into your skin. You had nowhere to be until dinner, so you might as well stay here and let the sun dry you out again. It was such a nice day, it would be a shame to go back inside... and Colin was in there.

"I really am sorry about the way my brother is acting." You said. 

"And I'm quite sure you have nothing to do with it." Technoblade said. "Though I do appreciate the apology on his behalf."

"You're right." You said. "I just feel so terrible about the way he's been acting... it's embarrassing. To me, and the rest of the court."

"Oh, I've seen." Technoblade said, an edge of amusement in his voice. "The glares you shoot at him in the meetings... hilarious."

You huffed out a laugh. "To you."

"To me." Technoblade agreed. "Though I've been told I have a strange sense of humor."

You flopped back into the grass, cushioning your head by folding your arms behind it, and looking over to him. "Tell me a joke."

"Pardon?" 

"Tell me a joke." You repeated the request.

"Um, alright..." He said. "Uh... why didn't the enderman cross the road?"

You raised an eyebrow. "Isn't is supposed to be why did the enderman cross the road? And isn't it supposed to be a chicken?"

Technoblade huffed. "If you're going to criticize me, I'm not going to tell you the joke-"

"Alright, alright." You said. "I don't know, why didn't the enderman cross the road?"

"Because he teleported instead." 

He said it with such monotone and without any emotion that you had to laugh, giggling up at sky. "That's what you find funny?"

"Hey man, you were the one that asked-" Technoblade started. 

You burst out into a fresh round of laughter just at the sheer absurdness of it all. Maybe it was the joke (it was a really bad joke) or maybe it was the fact that you were completely drenched from a moment of childish fun (something you hadn't let yourself enjoy in years) or maybe it was that the weather was simply wonderful and you were laying in the sunlight laughing at nothing.

The laughter subsided and you sighed. "What a nice day."

Next to you, Technoblade hummed.