17

You stared up at the darkened ceiling of your room above your bed, unable to sleep. Your body was on edge, every nerve awake. The noises of the night life around you that were usually calming and set you to rest now made every hair stand on end, a million imaginary assassins poised to strike. 

At least you hoped they were imaginary. 

You slipped a hand into the pocket of your nightshirt, running a finger over the smooth surface of the eye. All you would have to do was wrap your fist around it and squeeze, and they would be here. 

But could you break the orb faster an an arrow could fly through the air? Or a dagger?

You forced yourself to take a breath. It was evident that you weren't going to let yourself get any sleep tonight - Colin's words had sunk into your bones it seemed, and even the comfort of the twins gift wouldn't ease the anxiety they caused. You sat up in your bed, eyes darting to the corners of your room on instinct, looking for figures in the shadows. 

Relief flooded your system when you saw nothing. 

You shook the thought from your head. These nerves were going to drive you insane - maybe some fresh air would do you good. 

You slipped your feet into a pair of light shoes and made sure the orb was still in the pocket of your nightshirt before you opened the door to your room as quietly as you could, slipping out into the halls of the palace. It was almost an entirely different place at night - the only light coming from the lanterns placed at intervals along the wall, and empty of the gentle sound of the staff going about their days. 

Different, but peaceful. 

You started down the hallways away from your room, heading towards the west wing of the palace. If any assassins had been on their way to kill you and blame it on Endermen, they would be surprised to find your bed empty.

Unless they were roaming the halls, still on the way to your rooms. 

Your steps quickened as you moved towards the west wing of the palace. The twins' room was near there, and even though they were surely asleep right now, just being closer to them, even by a few steps was a relief. Logic caught up to you as well - there were guards around the palace, and Colin had said he'd been joking, grim a joke as it was. You were fine. 

Your steps slowed back to a meandering walk. You were by the guest rooms now - the twins were a bit further into the wing. You padded down the hall, counting the lanterns as you went. You had just passed a balcony when you stopped, turning back to look again. You swore you had seen-

Yes. Standing there on the balcony was Technoblade. His hair was fully down, the long pink curls hanging to the small of his back. He was less decorated than you had seen him before, simply dressed in a shirt and trousers, none of the usual things he wore to court. His hands rested on the rail, fingers curled around the edge, his back to you. 

You stepped onto the balcony tentatively. "Technoblade?"

His head snapped up, looking back over his shoulder. You were met with red eyes and pale pink skin. His nose had a snout like quality to it, and small white tusk-like fangs poked out from under his bottom lip. He wasn't wearing his mask. 

"What are you doing up?" He asked, quickly looking back so that his hair covered his face. 

"Couldn't sleep." You said simply, coming to stand next to him. "You're not wearing your mask."

"Well, I don't normally wear it to bed." He said. "Seems kind of uncomfortable-"

"You have a very nice nose." 

He stopped, glancing at you out of the corner of his eye. "I have a nice... nose?"

"Yes." You said, mimicking the slope with your finger. "It's got a nice slope to it... it looks like something an artist would pick out, you know?" 

Technoblade brought a hand up to his face, brushing the hair out of the way so that you could see him better. You smiled to yourself - not wanting to make a big deal of it, but glad that he was so comfortable. It reminded you of the day in the pond, when he had been hesitant to take off his boots because of his hooves. 

"Are you alright?" Technoblade asked, shaking you from your thoughts. 

You rested your elbows on the balcony, looking out over the rolling hills. You could just see the edge of light from a village nearby. "Why do you ask?"

"You seem... shaken." He said.

You paused, unsure whether or not to tell him about what Colin had said. You wouldn't want to trouble him, and you had already told the twins. Not to mention that it would only further sour Colin if he found out. Still, you didn't want to lie. "Bad dreams." You said simply, settling for the half truth.

Technoblade hummed thoughtfully, and thankfully didn't press.

"And you?" You asked. 

"Something similar." He said. "Not so much as dreams but more... intrusive thoughts. Lord Ilbertus has been getting angrier than usual lately. And not just at Malcolinus. I think he may also be vying for war, and though I'm trying to talk him off the edge, I fear it may not take."

"We're both fearing the worst then." You sighed. 

"So it seems." Technoblade agreed. 

You stood in silence together for a moment, just breathing the night air. From the corner of your eye, you mapped Technoblade's face again, committing it to memory before you would see him with the mask again. He was softer looking than you would have imagined - less like the hardened war lord he was said to be and more like a boy who'd grown up too fast and with too much weight on his shoulders. 

You let out a breath and set the thought aside, turning back to the night horizon before you, just in time to watch the last silver of the moon disappear under the hills.