Into the courtroom

"You don't think we can get custody of him?" Erwin asked as we left the building.

"It depends on how far you're willing to go to prove to them that you can control him." Getting into the carriage, I looked at both men. "How much you're willing to bet we can use him. And how much you're willing to lose should we fail."

The days passed quickly and suddenly it was the day of the trial. I stood with Erwin and Levi as the room filled. Glancing over, I noticed two teens join. Spotting the prints on their jackets, I quickly figured out who they were. I gestured for them to join us as there wasn't a point for them to stand so far. Behind them, I spotted a familiar face. I sent a quick smile to Rico to which she returned. As the teens joined us, I greeted them. "Cadets Arlert and Ackerman."

"Captain." They responded. "Going forward with this trial, I hope you are honest so your friend has a chance." I turned as the large doors opened and Eren was brought in. He was quickly situated.

Standing here, I was quickly reminded of 10 years ago. Standing in this same spot, I had to watch my friends be treated like animals. But now, it was much different. The outcome of this trial could change the future of humanity.

My eyes were drawn to the front where the judge of the trial Premier Zachary sat looking rather relaxed. "Shall we begin?" He fixed his glasses and began reading. "You are Eren Jeager, a soldier who has sworn to give his life for the people. Is that correct?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Given the extraordinary circumstances, this deliberation will be held as a court-martial; regular law will not apply, in other words, I have full decision-making authority in this matter, which includes determining whether you should live or die. Any objections?"

"No, sir."

I nodded at his sensibility.

"Your astuteness is appreciated. I'll get right to the point. As expected, concealing your existence has proved impossible. Unless we publically disclose your existence in one fashion or another we risk the outbreak of a new, non-Titan threat. It falls to me to decide which regiment should take charge of you. The Military Police Regiment...or the Scout Regiment."

I glanced over at the Military Police who were also looking at us. Even now when we sometimes worked with them and I had met some of them, they disgusted me more than anything.

"I, Nile Dawk, Commander of the Military Police, offer the following proposal. We believe that, after a thorough examination of Eren's body, he should be disposed of immediately. It's true that his Titan ability helped thwart this last incursion. However, his existence is now stirring up rebellious ideas as well. As such, after he's provided us with as much information as possible, he will be made a fallen warrior of humanity."

"There's no need!" One of the men with the MP wearing a blue robe suddenly raised his voice. "They are vermin that have defiled and infiltrated..."

...The walls built by God's great wisdom! He's with the Wall cult. Great now this guy. It was bad enough having to deal with the priest but you couldn't even hold a conversation with any of these guys without hearing their speech at least four times.

"They should be killed at once!"

Everyone ignored them five years ago for a good reason but they've really grown in power.

"Pastor Nick. Please remain quiet. Next, let's hear the Scout Regiment's idea."

"Yes, sir." It was finally Erwin's turn to speak. This reminded me of Levi's trial with the others. It was times like this that I missed them the most. I however did not miss the eyes. The look of those people as they stared them down picking at their faults and weakness and me being powerless. I did not miss that at all.