Thief

It's been weeks since they died. Sometimes think it's all just a cruel joke.  I couldn't believe my birthday present was watching my parents get killed and remembering that it was all my fault. If I had just listened to my gut feeling that day they would still be alive, now I'm just another person try to survive on their own. 

A week after their death, an officer showed up at our home. His eyes were sharp as he stared down at me. Wrinkles had just begun forming around his eyes and his head was as shiny and smooth as an egg. When he found out that my parents had been killed by drunk patrols, his eyes flashed with anger before looking at me with pity.

He then took me to identify the people who did it. They were all lined up fidgeting. Apparently, the hawk-eyed man was a very important and powerful person. When I spotted the two who had attack us that day, I hid behind him as the memory clouded my senses. Shaking my head, I looked at the others, recognizing them from different situations.

There was the round man who beat some kids in the street. The hunched-over man who had dragged the old couple out of their house and took their money. The oily haired lady who would kick over stuff in front of people's house. Even the newest one who looked to be in their early 20s. They loved spitting on the people lying on the side of the street.

Basically, no one here was good but he wouldn't care if I reported all of their bad deeds. He was only here because Papa was killed. He wouldn't give a donkeys' butt if something happened to me or Mum. I pointed at the two before I was led out. He gave me a pouch of money.

Tears trickled down which I quickly rubbed away as I stared at the pouch. This was the money pouch I had made Papa not too long ago. The man told me this was all of dads money he saved. This was the money he had been planning on using to bring us to the surface. I kept the money far away instead of using it.

To survive, I stole. I had begun gathering the few coins I spotted here and there and adding to the secret stash of money. I was hoping that I could raise enough money to leave this terrible place and still survive. I haven't killed anyone yet but it was bound to happen. You couldn't stay completely innocent. Not down here anyway. Even the youngest children were aware that death was just another part of our life. 

I ran around a corner getting yanked back. I turned my head to find my tunic snagged on a piece of broken wood. I pulled at it rushed as I looked back making sure they hadn't caught up yet. I spotted something flying my way. I ducked hearing hit the wall them fall. The tunic finally tore cause me to stumble back due to the momentum.

I balanced myself then turned and picked up the small knife that had been aimed at me before continuing on my way, speeding up when I heard the angry calls. My shoes which had already been extremely thin just did the bare minimum to warm my feet but they quickly tore when I accidentally stepped on a broken glass bottle.

I clenched my jaw trying to stay silent despite the fact that I had a piece of glass now in my foot. I kept moving even though I now had a limp. I was just a block away from my house. My house was a large rundown building. It had two floors but I had never been there because of how unstable it was so my parents had blocked it off. Unlike most houses down here, we had the toilet inside and our stove was also inside. This meant we didn't have to stand outside and cook our food. 

The only downside was that it used gas and we had to get our gas tank refilled every month. Not only was it expensive, but it was also a hassle carrying it back and forth. With what we had, had, we could have been aristocrats down here but we were still struggling to survive just like everyone else down here.

I ducked into another alley as just running down the main road would be too open. As I ran through the shadows of the houses, through the crime and filth. . . there was a sort of. . .deja vu. I shook this thought out of my head turning a corner only to bump into a wall. I wobbled stepping back unconsciously letting out a hiss. 

I knew there wasn't a wall here so I quickly went defensive before recognizing what I had hit. It was the boy who had been there. His fawn hair was still as shiny as then as his grayish-blue eyes were soft and gentle but also piercing. 

"Sorry," I muttered turning my head. The sound of heavy footsteps could be heard. I glanced around noticing the crowd coming back from the market. Every day at the same time, everyone would go out to the market. That was why I decided it was a good time to grab food. I ignored him, running to merge with the crowd. I glanced back noticing the men come out of the alley heavily panting. 

I shook my head at their persistence. They had managed to follow me for so long only to lose me in the crowd. It seems like I have to rethink my escape strategy. Just running wouldn't save me next time. I slipped out and limped my way inside. 

I packed away the food I had gotten then removed the piece of glass from my foot. I quickly wrapped my foot up releasing a breath as the adrenaline stopped flowing through my veins, the throbbing of my foot now more present than ever.

After doing that, I tentatively made my way around the house cleaning up the blood. I had to stop every now and then to take a breath. When I finally thought I was done, I turned only to spot a trail of blood. I sighed before wrapping my foot up again trying to clean the blood up.

I stood up carefully and put away the cleaning products and the first aid. I took of the dirt cap I had on letting my hair spill out. The uneven cut hair framed my face. I sat down just as I heard noise above me but I brushed it off. I stood up and began cleaning up.

I stopped at the blood-stained shoe and stared at it for a while. Do I wash and repair it or go out and steal myself a new pair. I shook my head and picked up the shoe and its pair. I limped over to a box and place them inside before pulling black socks over my feet to keep them warm. It was cold down her and medicine was scarce.

I limped into the kitchen and grabbed a pot and heated the water up to drink. I could feel the chill begin to crawl up my feet and shivered in response. "So cold," I muttered as I stood next to the fire feeling my hands thaw a bit.

I heard something hit the table making me spin around to find no one. I frowned but shrugged it off. I sneezed groaning as I grabbed the pot and poored the water into a cup with a broken handle. I wrapped a cloth around the cup and picked it up moving it to the table. I grabbed a bowl and dished in some soup that had probably already gone bad but was all I had to eat. I covered the pot and turned around.