Family

I froze staring at the three that stood there. I slowly set down the bowl as I looked at them. I stepped back searching for something to defend myself with.

"We won't hurt you." Said one of the three. He had black hair and dark narrowed eyes. I looked he had a permanent scowl on his face. He walked over to where I was as I back up more only to trip over my feet and fall. 

I dragged myself away backing up to a wall as he turned off the fire by blowing it out. He held a hand out to me. I hesitated looking at it then at him before taking his hand He pulled me up and helped me stabilize myself on my good leg.

He grabbed some more bowls and dished out the soup then sat across from me, the other two joining him as I sat down at the table. "What's your name?" The one who helped me up asked. "Y/N. Just Y/N."

"Why are you alone?" The girl asked. 

"..." I looked down at my lap.

"I'm Farlen. That," Farlen pointed to the others, "is Levi and this is Isabelle." The girl, Isabelle smiled and waved while Levi just nodded and stared.

"Why do you trust us?" He asked suddenly after silence had just begun to set in. I pointed at Farlen. "You haven't tried to kill me yet." I paused looking at the bowl of soup. "Dig in."

We all ate in silence, filling our stomach with what we had. After I was done I got up and collected their bowls slowly making my way over to the sink so they wouldn't notice I was injured. I placed them in what I considered a sink except there was no running water. 

I was about to get a bucket of water when I was stopped and led to a chair that hadn't broken yet and made to sit. Levi knelt in front of me and grabbed my hurt foot. I looked at him confused. "I just want to look at your foot."

I pulled it back giving him a look. "You don't look like you can do much for yourself. You don't have to worry about me." He shot me a glare and grabbed my foot again. I left it this time as he took off the sock I had used to cover it from the cold.  He unwrapped the bandage to show the wound had already turned an ugly shade of yellow.

"Why didn't you clean this?" Levi asked as Farlen and Isabelle left to search the house for medical supplies. "I didn't have time. It doesn't matter anyway." I responded with a shrug. Levi shook his then went to the pot that still held the hot water and put it in a larger bowl. He grabbed a clean cloth and placed it next to me as the other two returned with what they had found. 

So there was hot water next to me as Levi used the now steaming cloth that was wet to clean around the foot before drying it and putting ointment. He soon wrapped it up firmly with gauze then a bandage. He put my socks back on and led me to my cot in the far corner of the room.

I lowered myself as I glance at them. They shared a look before looking at me. "Where are your shoes?" Levi asked. I nodded towards the box I had placed them in. I sighed as I laid down staring at the ceiling. The throbbing in my foot seem to get more intense bring my entire attention to it. I wasn't sure how long I laid there before eventually dozing off.

~~~

Several years have passed since I first met those three. My home had become their home. Well, a much cleaner and spacious home. Levi couldn't even stand a speck of dust or dirt. They had also helped me open up the top floor so now there was more room and we had actual beds to sleep on even if they weren't amazingly comfortable, it was still better than sleep on the floor.

Levi taught me how to fight and also how to use the ODM gear that the Military Police used. Sparring with Levi was painful. Although I could quickly beat Isabell and Farlen on a 1v1 battle despite how long they had learned with Levi, he always beat me in the end. I got a job at a restaurant close by working as a waitress. Many people think that I would get harrassed but I had threatened the patrons enough that they knew not to mess with me. Through this, I had gathered almost enough money for all 4 of us to move to the surface.

As of now, we were out on another family outing. . .on the ODM gear. We had just pissed off the Military Police once again and making our way over the city to get away from them. "Hah. Levi, try to catch me. Hehe." We continued for a while, teasing and joking with each other when I felt a tingle at the base of my next.

I slowed down and told them, "We're being followed and it's not the ugly bastards." We shared looks, our faces grim. "Go secure the house," Levi told me as Farlen and Isabelle split from us. I nodded and quickly left. I had just touched the ground in the alley behind the house when I felt my eye twitch. They had been seen. I ran into the house from the back and began the safety plan.

We had come up with a plan in case we or the house were ever to be compromised. I quickly hid what need to be hidden and locked what had to be locked. I was about to leave when I looked back at the floorboard I had hidden the money inside. I walked back in and lifted the board. I opened the box the money had been in and smiled.

Inside was an assortment of different things from the 7 years I had spent with the trio. There was the old notepad where I had taught Farlen and Isabelle how to read and write, the broken picture frame that we had tried putting a family picture, the only nice teacup we owned, the old torn-up shoe they had found me in, and more. At the very bottom was a bulging poorly made pouch.

I could have made a new one if I wanted. After all, it was old and falling apart and I had also gotten much better at making them but this was the only thing left of my father I owned. Well, that and an old pocket watch that was practically a family heirloom. I picked up the pouch and shoved it into my pant pocket. I picked up the pocket watch and placed it in my breast pocket. With a sigh, I put everything back into the box and back under the floorboard.

Nothing precious remained here anymore. As I walked to the door, I looked back at the place I had called home for so long as I placed my hand on my chest feeling my mothers' locket like a reassuring hand. I took one last look before walking out and locking the door. I knew this would be the last time for a long to ever see this place again yet I walked away confidently.

I closed my eyes and trusted my senses to lead me to them. Feeling a low hum, I began walking. I had gotten about halfway across the city when I heard the voice of a man threatening someone except he was very calm. This must be it. They had managed to lead them far from the house giving me enough time. My heart warmed as I took a deep breath and walked over.

"What have you three done this time?" I asked, nagging as soon as I walked out. I never really scolded them so I just tried to think of how my employer did it. I scolded them for about half a day before Isabelle cut me off.

"Sorry, Bec. We ran into a bit of trouble."

"A bit, huh?"