Trost

It had been 5 years since Shigashina district had fallen to the Titans. Within those 5 years, I had risen in my position. Apparently, the higher-ups assumed I was fit to have contact with the rulers within the inner districts and the royal family. We didn't always get along but I was only there to do my job and leave.

I found something strange, however. Whenever I looked through the records in the back section of the castle, it said that the descendants of royalty were all blond yet somehow, the current royalty all had brown hair. When I asked they quickly drove me out.

Today was our first expedition in 5 years. All the branches of the Military had been waiting for the new recruits and today was the day they made their decision. Due to this, we decided that it was a good time to go out and for once the public opinion seemed better and more upbeat about this.

As we rode out of the district, the familiar nausieting feeling found it's way into my throat causing me to frown. I looked around trying to find Levi to warn him only to notice how far away we were. I sped my horse up a bit to catch up with him. As I weaved through the others, I could hear the calls of encouragement.

"The Scout Regiment is back!"

"That's right commander Erwin! You can keep those ugly bastards from trashing you!"

"It's Captain Levi and Y/N! They say they're like an entire brigade apart and like an army together."

I caught up to Levi just in time to hear him bitching. "Tch. Spare me please," Levi said. "Take in the love Levi. Soon it'll be replaced with scorn and hatred." I said glanceing aheat at Erwin who at the front of the procession seemed lonely. I turned my gaze away and back to Levi and Hanji who came up to us.

We rode past the civilians not really looking at them until Levi saluted to a girl who seemed familiar. I stared at the group of people behind her. "Must be the newly graduated cadets," I said to myself. 

"If their looks of envy catch sight of how fussy you are, it'll crush them," Hanji said causing me to nod. The gate was opened slowly as they stood at the ready. "Outside wait the Titans...! I wonder what we'll see this time! I hope we find some Abnormals! That'd be great!" I scoffed at Hanji's actions before rolling my eyes.

"I'd say there's already an Abnormal right here," Levi said to her uninterested. "Huh?! Where?!" Hanji asked looked around frantically. Levi grabbed her hair and pulled her face up next to his. "Here."

Behind the two, I stuck her hand out to Mike who sighed before giving me something which I happily pocketed ignoring the suffocating feeling that came with it.

"Move out!" 

"Levi, wait!"

The said male turned to look at me, his dark eyes drowning me. I blink and cleared my throat. I looked away trying to seem unbothered. "Be careful out there. Something's bound to happen today." There was a pause before I spurred my horse on leaving Levi behind. 

Sometime later, we found ourselves behind the fallen wall, trying to gain some understanding about our giant enemies. The nauseating feeling I felt had disappeared as soon as we left Trost behind.

I stood on the roof of one of the houses, looking at the sky. I reached up clenching my hand int a fist. The sky reminded me so much of- "Y/N?" I blinked out of my stupor. "Huh?"

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah! Yeah. I'm fine." She glanced at my expose forearm dubiously. I quickly brought my arm down and pulled the sleeve to cover it. "We should join the others," I said before quickly leaping away, coming up onto the sight of one of the soldiers getting eaten slowly. A face flashed in my mind causing me to rapidly blink. I can not bring my emotions into my work. That was the only rule I lived by and I wasn't breaking it now. That soldier was a dead man but he wasn't dying quietly.