Family In Everything But Blood // Pepperony + Peter

Peter was sitting on the couch in the living room, working on an essay he was due to hand in the English class tomorrow when his sixth sense awoke. He was surprised because he was completely safe in the Tower. However, his surprise disappeared as Howard Stark entered the living room. He only met him once at Tony and Pepper's wedding, and he didn't like him there already. Even May didn't like him, and before she left the country, she told Tony not to let his father go too close to her nephew. Tony assured her it wouldn't be a problem because they weren't exactly eager about the family reunion, which was true because Peter hadn't seen him since. Until today, then.

"Oh, that's you," the elderly man said in a voice full of contempt when he noticed him. 

And Peter was taken aback by the way he said it. Yes, at the wedding, he pretended that someone needed to talk to him when Tony introduced him to him and Maria. But Peter thought it was just a weak moment. Even Maria told him not to take it personally. And she was such a nice person. And yes, Tony didn't talk much about Howard, and if he did, it wasn't a nice word, but still, Peter didn't want to believe that Tony's father was so awful. He always tried to find the good in people.  And maybe he didn't like him but it could change. At least he thought so a few minutes ago.

"Uhm, hello?" he muttered after a moment of silence. He didn't know Howard would be here. No one warned him.

"I didn't know you'd be here," he told him as if was reading his mind.

"That makes two of us," Peter told him quietly. Howard raised an eyebrow and looked at him unkindly. Peter wondered what was wrong before he remembered his beginnings with Tony. He cleared his throat before saying in a firm voice, "That makes two of us, sir."

"So, Tony hasn't sent you away yet? That's quite shocking," he said grimly, walking over to the bar so he could pour himself a glass of whiskey.

Peter didn't know what to say, so he stayed quiet. Pepper or Tony will be home soon. He just had to wait. No biggie. He could do that. He just had to remind himself that whatever Elder Stark had to say was not true. Peter was not stupid. He knew where it was going. He had to listen to similar words from Flash at school almost every day.

"I just don't understand what he's got out of it. It's obviously not for the public's favor when he keeps you away from journalists. Although, now that I'm looking at you, I'd keep you out of public too. Why are you here at all and not in Massachusetts?" he asked amusedly, and Peter didn't bother to answer, knowing he didn't expect it from him anyway. "Let me guess. You're still in high school. This is a disgrace!" 

"With all due respect, I don't have to listen to you, so if you'll excuse me, I'll go to my room, sir," Peter spoke when Howard paused for a moment, probably to decide what nice to say to him next. And Peter didn't really have to listen to him. He had all these uncertainties behind him, and he didn't want to go through them again. When May moved out of America, it wasn't easy, but she followed her dream and he was happy for her. He just wasn't sure if he wasn't bothering Tony and Pepper.

"I call it courage. My son wasn't like that at your age," he said almost proudly. "It doesn't change the fact that you don't belong to this family. I only accepted Miss Potts because of how well she runs our company and how she tamed Anthony. But what is enough is enough. I can't let Anthony continue to associate my name with the mob."

Peter stood up and walked out of the living room. He wanted to tell him so many things, but in the end, he decided it was worthless. He would just provoke him unnecessarily. He will just wait in his room.

Howard smiled contentedly to himself and drank the golden liquid so he could pour another glass. And when he sat down on the couch, it was at that moment that Pepper returned from work.