One More Chance // BuckyNat

"I have to go see Shuri, but I'm sure your friends will tell you more about what's going on. After all, they know more than we do," T'Challa told him as they reached their mansion.

Bucky nodded and watched him disappear inside the building. T'Challa had already mentioned that his friends had arrived, but he didn't name anyone, so he didn't know who would be here. He would love to see Steve, but he secretly hoped for someone else. But he did not move. The last time he saw Steve, he didn't remember much. That was different now. Now he remembered everything.

"Bucky," the blonde woman breathed in surprise. She was going to Wanda, trying to avoid him, but it was just her luck that she had run into him anyway.

Her surprise disappeared in a millisecond. She put on her typical hard expression, but now he knew how to look through it. He remembered how to look through it. And he also remembered their meeting in Germany. He remembered her words - you could at least recognize me. He did recognize her now.

"If I remember correctly, you always called me James," he said calmly, but at the same time very recklessly. They had a battle ahead of them. He shouldn't start talking about it, but what if they don't survive? She needed to know he remembered them.

"What?"  she snapped, trying to hide all the feelings that were swirling in her. She didn't want to hope. And yet... "Do you remember it all? Our time together, when I was young?"

"I remember everything. Natalia. And you were the one good thing in all of it," he said with a small smile.

"I'd love to kiss you right now. I'm so glad to have you back, James!" she said, walking closer to him as if she was really about to kiss him, but then she remembered where they were and why they were here. "You should go to Steve, he'll tell you more. I'm going to check on Wanda. If we survive, we'll talk," she promised him with a sad smile that told Bucky that she didn't believe much in their survival.

Bucky just nodded, not knowing what to say. When she walked away from him, he had to tease her a little, "If we survive, you need to get rid of these blond hairs. Your color had always been red." And then he went to Steve.

He was dusted a few hours later, and when he returned after five years, he found that his redhead was dead. How was that fair? Living without her was so hard when he had all those memories. He tried to resolve the matter with Karli, but wherever they were, something reminded him of Natasha there. The only time his own life didn't hurt him was when he was with Sam's family. But now he was returning home, and all those unpleasant memories were coming back.

"She's gone, Buck."

Steve told him when he asked about her.

"She sacrificed herself so everyone could return. I am sorry."

He explained, a little confused. Bucky never told him about her.

He unlocked the door to his apartment and reluctantly went inside. He knew that something was different as soon as he closed the door behind him. He automatically pulled out his weapon and quietly set out to explore his small apartment. He decided to check the kitchen first. And he froze when he walked in.

"It hasn't changed much," said a slightly amused red-haired woman. Her hair was longer than when he last saw her in Wakanda. And they were red again. And they were tangled in a braid, as she used to braid them back in Russia when they were alone. She kept her hands over her head to keep him from shooting. She held two glasses in one hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other. They could never stand Russian vodka and instead fell in love with this golden drink, which was hard to find in Russia, especially back then.