Dad Situation // Pepperony + Peter

Pepper had an early morning council meeting, so it was up to Tony to drop Peter off at school. The genius didn't sleep much at night because he was working until the early hours on a new product for SI, but he was still going to accomplish his task. Because, it was important for him to finally prove to his girlfriend how serious he was about her and her son.

Tony has known about Peter's existence since Pepper started working for him. However, he didn't meet him until about a year after he got together with Pepper. The redhead was very indecisive about letting him into her life, which the mechanic understood, he himself was afraid of how his presence would affect her son. It had been a long journey that hadn't come without a few obstacles, but Tony liked to think they were doing pretty well. He liked the family he had and knew he had to do everything he could to keep them.

So when he parked outside the school, he had to make sure he did everything Pepper would do.

"Wait," he blurted out, grabbing Peter's sweatshirt sleeve to stop him from getting out of the car. "I still feel like we forgot something."

Peter had to chuckle at that. This is what it looked like when you sent two people with ADHD to do something.

"Relax, would you? I got everything I need," he tried to reassure him. He really liked Tony, and he could see how hard he was trying. His mom saw it too, so there really wasn't any need for him to analyze everything all the time.

"Do you have that essay you worked on with Pepper?"

"I handed it in yesterday," he replied patiently, though he would have liked to get out of the car and go to school.

Tony nodded. "What about that project we've been working on all weekend?"

"I have it in my backpack. I appreciate it, but I should go so I won't be late," he said, knowing it would work because Tony wouldn't let him be late. Not after the fiasco where he took him to Germany instead of school to fight Captain America. It was quite a miracle that his mom didn't leave Tony after that.

"You're right," he agreed, rubbing his eyes. He was tired and couldn't wait to have coffee, he didn't even have breakfast with Peter. "Wait, did you have breakfast?" he asked as he realized he hadn't paid attention to breakfast as he had barely gotten out of bed, and he knew Peter tended to skip meals at times despite his fast metabolism when he should be eating far more.

"I may not have breakfast," muttered reluctantly Peter who was somewhat late in the morning because, like Tony, he had trouble getting up after the evening patrol.

"Unacceptable. Look in your backpack," said Tony, who had various protein bars stashed around everywhere just for these occasions.

Peter did as he was told, pulling the breakfast bar out of his backpack. "Hey, there's chocolate chips in this!"

Tony rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I am not an idiot. I know how to trick my son into eating his fiber."

"Thank you! See you later, dad," he said goodbye to him and finally got out of the car.

And while Peter carelessly continued to school, Tony was left sitting in the car in absolute shock. He had to wait a few minutes for him to get at least a little bit back to normal before he could go home. The road, which used to go by very quickly, now stretched endlessly.

When he finally arrived back home, instead of going to their floor, he pressed the elevator button for the floor where Pepper's office was located. He knew that she wouldn't be joining him anytime soon, but he also knew that he wouldn't be doing any work in the workshop anyway.

He didn't know how to feel. A part of him was happy. He had spent enough time with Peter to not think of him as a son. He just wouldn't have thought that the kid would see it the same way. Him. Why would anyone want him to be their father? And then there was another part of him that was afraid of what Pepper would say. His beloved Pepper.