8. Dean

My mate.

After all these years I've finally found her. She was right across the border this whole time, merely a mile down the stream, being tortured and abused. I could have done something. I could have saved her.

I rub my head trying to soothe my thoughts. I'm being stupid.

'i CoUld HavE sAvEd HeR' I mock myself. Me and what fucking army? We're weak.

I finally had my mate but she thinks I'm just like those monsters that kept her. She thinks I want to rape her.

I take a seat on the end of the bed and keep my head in my hands as I feel her flinch away from my added weight on the bed.

"Little one, please... come here." I try to say as softly as I can as to not scare her.

She immediately obeyed and stood in front of me. I try not to look but she has disregarded the blanket I gave her.

Her body was small, her ribcage was visible, scars and bruises her her pale, almost transparent skin.

I stop my eyes from travelling any further, it's inappropriate to take advantage. She deserves better.

I put my hand out and look into her eyes.
"Baby." I say her name hoping to hear her voice in return.

"Yes Alpha Dean." Her voice is quiet. Submissive.

I shake my head.

"It's just Dean."

She lowers her head but says nothing.

I slowly move my hand low, palm up, into her line of sight as not to scare her.
"Can I take your hand, please?" I ask and wait for her consent.

Her head tilts to look at my open hand and she gently places her hand in mine. Instantly I can feel the mate bond. The feel of her hand in mine sends wave after wave of sparks.

I close my eyes and try to keep my wolf at bay, fearing that he might harm the fragile girl in front of me.

"Can you follow me...." wait that sounded like a command, "please?" I quickly add.

She nods her head whilst staring quizzically at our hands. She can feel the mate bond too.

I smile at her scrunched nose and gently lead her to the bathroom. She is covered in dried blood and smells like hospital.

"Are you fine to shower alone, or would you like Macy?" I gently push her into the bathroom and stay on the other side of the threshold.

"Macy... please." Her voice is barely above a whisper but I hear her.

"Macy please come up to my room." I say through the mind link.

My tiny mate in front of me grabs her head. I gently place my hands on her elbow as her balance seems to falter.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I try to say soothingly.

"Voices." She says one word but I know what she means. She was probably shunned from the pack mind link in the Crimson Lapis pack; she didn't have the chance to learn how to shut them out. For someone born in a pack it is second nature to just shut out the mind links that are not directed at you. It's like breathing. It's not something you realise you are doing.

For someone who has never been in a mind link before it can be painful hearing every link all at once.

"It may be painful now, but you'll get used to it." I comfort her.

Suddenly Macy slams the door to my room open, so hard the handle leaves a hole in the wall. My mate flinches.
"Dean, What the fuck do you think you're doing?!"