twenty-one

After Nahmir cut the cord, they cleaned my baby and got her foot and hand prints

After Nahmir cut the cord, they cleaned my baby and got her foot and hand prints. They handed me my baby and I was just in Aw.

"What's her name?" The doctor smiled standing in front of the board with a marker.

"Naylani Alexia Jones." I said admiring my baby with Nahmir on the side of me. The doctors left out leaving me and Nahmir alone with our baby.

"She gone look like me." He said.

"Nah, she gone look more like me." I laughed and Ariah came in sniffing and crying.

"What's wrong why you crying?" I said as I watched her sit down sniffing continuously and she shook her head.

"I just talked to Ciara and- and she said momma passed away at the hospital." She said and I was speechless.

Nahmir slowly took Naylani out my arms.

I didn't cry, I didn't say anything I just stared down at my hands. My mother had already prepared me for this moment. I felt like I had no tears left to cry I was just numb.

"Ciara said that you should go ahead and start making funeral arrangements, she's on her way to pick me up."

"Chantelle are you even listening?"

"Chantelle." He called my name.

"Chantelle." He walked over to me and I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Huh." I said.

"You didn't hear her try to talk to you?" He asked so I looked and Ariah wasn't in the room anymore.

"I- No, what did she say?" I said.

"You good?" He asked and I looked at him like he was stupid. My mother just died no I'm not okay.

"How- Yea I'm good." I said. "Where did she go?" I asked referring to Ariah.

"She said Ciara was picking her up." He looked at me like something was wrong.

"What?" I asked.

"You know it's okay to be sad about it right?" He said.

"People die everyday, I'll be good I've cried enough. I just want to enjoy my baby. Can I just do that?" I grabbed my phone seeing that Ciara was calling me but I sent it to voicemail.

"You need to chill." He said holding the baby.

"I am chill." Ciara called me again and I let it ring.